All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Idea: doesnt the HoS have access to medals to give promising officers? And what if having the HoS' approval led to better gear, fancier clothes, and distinction from the rest?
  3. Pokebro2000

moffs

One word: Lamp.
  4. I like the idea of adding some more spooky ambient noises when you're in maint and stuff like that. Perhaps the hull could creak and groan occasionally. I also like Lars' idea about adding some little sounds to air alarms, for example when pressure is not in a safe range. Similar to that last idea, I'd like for fire alarms to have a sound for them to better warn people the area is probably not safe. Hopefully that will help to keep random people from rushing into breached areas. Also would be cool to have the rushing air of fastmos be more pronounced, like more of a "wooosh" air rushing sound
  5. Moths are attracted to lights. IPC faces are lights. Does that mean constant bumping as they smush their faces against IPC screens?
  6. Yesterday
  7. I had an idea that seemed promising to me at first but then, as I thought about it more, I realized would not work for several reasons. I will share it anyway because I think the intent behind it is good, I just can't find a good way to implement it and maybe someone can. So the following is just me thinking out loud. Miners have an incentive to bring ore to the ORM because they can get cool stuff with miner points. Security Officers could also unlock better equipment by doing their jobs well. I remember we had an admin even where security got "enforcers" (they were 9mm iirc). The problem is how to measure security officer success? Number of arrests would not work because that would create a bad incentive. No breaking SoP or Space Law for a number of minutes? That would just create the need for an entire new job to supervise them with cameras just like an AI. Would that be fun job? And wouldn't that job have similar security problems of their own? And wouldn't the new gear be irrelevant once the armory if opened? tl;dr: Incentives to be a good security officer would help with some of the issues but I can't think of a single good way to implement them.
  8. (the plasteel and board fabricator are fine too i guess)
  9. It'd be nice if engineers had a "maint drone remote" where they can choose a maint drone from a menu, click a maint drone with it to select it, or choose a "all drones" option, and then input a custom command and click send. if this command is related to the drones tasks, (eg making a new room, building airlocks, repairing breaches or just regular structure damage, making machines {since grippers can grab the boards}) the drone has to follow the order but if it isnt related to what the drone's duties are they are to ignore the command otherwise its considered a break of law 1. also maybe make the drone have a "console synthesizer" that works as a portable circuit imprinter but only for circuits for machines/computers. I think this idea would be good because now drones can fix and make new machines without going all the way to an imprinter and grabbing boards one by one and the commands can be used for when engineers would like a little extra help with making new rooms or repairs (but only those drone related duties). Also maybe make it so drones can defend themselves from any living thing that attacks them that ISNT a human/humanoid (eg other species playable, even ash walkers and syndies count as not allowed to be harmed). (also add plasteel to their usable materials so they can make stuff like reinforced walls and such)
  10. Another part of this, is its just not fun to play security. A lot of the gameplay is forced and repetitive. As a small example The station will always end up on red, and you will always need to convince the warden to hand out weapons that you can't be trusted with on green, because security are the mall cops. The appearance of being mall cops opens security to random acts of greytide (I am guilty of this). Random acts of greytide disarm spam leads to many security players, just being on the edge of calling it quits. Part of the reason for this appearance of being mall cops, is that most of our players are based in the United States. In the US, all police, even volunteer ones, are armed. While mall cops are not, corporate security is often armed outright, this is especially true at things like chemical plants, or research labs. The harder it is for the police to get somewhere quickly, and the more expensive/dangerous the thing in question is, the more likely security will be armed. The private security guard who watches the self checkout machines at my local supermarket is armed. For the country most of our players live in, if you see unarmed security, their job is to call the police if they see something and not get involved themselves. (Source: I worked my way through college in Florida as a security guard.) Security in SS13 are mall cops, they are therefore treated like mall cops, and it should not be surprising if they have the same turnover (burnout) as mall cops.
  11. Sound for shuttle arriving/departing would be great! Would act as a great audio cue for cargo engineers/miners etc.
  12. Ferrius

moffs

I mean West Virignia got moff man, why not to put it on the stayshuun?
  13. On issues with security, the attitude is indeed a problem, and it is so in both fronts as of mentioned above. Attitude, namely, excessive bitterness on failing or misconducting security and then the problem-making attitude in the department. Though, there is an another factor to be considered. Bad stuff happening with security, caused by security, results at least as much because of the sheer amount of work to do, as because of poor quality of action and-or greyshirting customers. Overflow of events is the third factor. It's like a snowball: first there is a large crew and-or good antagging, then there is a failing part in the sec machine, then there is angry greyshirts because of shitcurity, and then sec has too much work to overcome it. And same indegrients with different order lead to the same result, and so on. Making a playtime requirement to sec could snip few potential problems out, namely prevent few "failures in the sec machine" from that snowball. Adminning toxic behaviour towards sec a few more. - - - Another measure could be altering the security department itself. Having my two cents on this subject - the sec instructor suggestion, not too far ago, was initiated by the same issue as this thread I'd say. That was about of having one more person to herd the red-shirted flock as their dedicated job. Reception for that was initially mixed, though, as of that role could be played bad aswell and the job thought for the instructor is already done by experienced officers on their own initiative. Security cadets, as mentioned here, could be an another solution. For, just a playtime limit - while it might root out certain way-too-rookies - has the issue of having played on the server does not guarantee they know how to sec. Having a cadet role, in the other hand, if playtime requirements are considered for the actual officers, could endorse people to play sec and be recognized as what their job title says, a cadet, one who is learning the ropes. And well, each of us starts from the beginning with sec, as with other roles. Learning goes by mistakes. There must be room for mistakes, by, attitude - a cadet system could be helping in that, for it could be a tool to contain some of the effects of the mistakes (loot pinatas as mentioned, and people would probably more easily forgive a cadet). This is one good answer for security doing bad, but the problem is, that while the Space Law and SOP already permits this, the workload for HoS, Warden and-or the officers able to judge it, are often too heavy for them - to even become aware of somebody doing it bad as a sec. Same goes for taking action with the issues. That's the primary reason I like the idea of cadets or-and instructors, while either would not be a perfect system, either would help fellow seccies, busy they are, to note somebody might need guidance (cadets) and have somebody dedicated to give it and work around with issues in action (the instructor). Or something else, something that buffs security - IMO to make something, that should almost always to be done by somebody in sec by their own initiative, to happen more certainly. Be it good conduct, overseeing and helping those in need, sanctionizing bad stuff, having 10-minute timers at processing, anyhow helping to deal with the effects of the overflow of events. Good to have a talk about these! - - - Then again, Ping's post is great. We, both as security and their customers, should remember this. You don't always even need shitcuriting or toxic greyshirts to put the snowball on the move. Even if you do the best that you could figure out to do, out of a situation, it just might lead to more chaos happening. And we should be enjoying it... however it's hard to be enjoyed if you get roasted too much. So I'll conclude mine with quoting this. The attitude could be worse, though. In my opinion it's okay or good usually, but from time to time it's bad. As Landerlow says, the fun thing is that it goes both ways. Many times just speaking reasonably to greyshirts as sec makes them to actually behave reasonably. And being a customer at the red hotel, doing the same to officers might just have the same effect. How could this be endorsed... personal action, foremost, changes regarding to sec, maybe, a maybe just for deciding what might be difficult.
  14. See? I KNEW IT! I TOLD ALL OF YOU! The skrell boi is evilz! Get the fookin disk-
  15. rapaskoti

moffs

no bad go back to your room we dont need Moffs
  16. DerpehBoi

moffs

we must have the moffs (from /tg/). boons: can move perfectly in no gravity, gains 2x nutrition from fruits/flowers/recipes that include these, BEING A MOFF maluses: being set on fire for more than 3 seconds ruins wings, 3x damage from fly swatters this post was made by the moff gang
  17. Heard the round was very stressful on station.
  18. Last week
  19. sounds/noises for machines would be nice like when i print something out in rnd or robotics there being a sound that happens would be nice also that could help with being able to instantly hear someone being tased in maint when you have a bunch of machines going which i have always found odd same with kitchen with all the ovens and stuff.
  20. As far as ensuring a certain level of competence and understanding of not only the game itself but space law, I think time does a generally good job at managing that. I also think that Kyet's right that the culture around security is terrible and generally you can see that as a thing across many severs made worse by a lot of popular players propagating it. So it's not that just OUR server has a toxic attitude towards sec but MOST servers have a toxic attitude towards security. A lot of this has to be mended more or less by the Security team presenting itself in a better light to begin with. Frequently getting laws wrong, frequently harming people, frequently keeping people in processing for far too long with inadequate evidence. Cracking down and punishing actual shitcurity to at least a minor extent can help with this matter with the intent of the punishments being "corrective action" rather then trying to make them want to quit all together. On the flip side, giving security more freedoms to actually handle said toxic people would likely go over better as a community thing then having admin intervention for it. It's already in General SOP that creating a hostile work environment can get you demoted. Either way there needs to be a written, well understood, and easy bar to measure what is considered acceptable verses unacceptable when it comes to calling out security as it would be wrong to silence players all together when security is legitimately acting up.
  21. i have not had a chance to look into the servers audio files, from what i'm told we use OGG files, they are typically smaller than MP3, but i will need to see what the largest audio file is and the collection of audio files in terms of resources as it stands
  22. When people say "server died", "server crash" or "game down" they can mean one of three things: A network issue which is preventing people from connecting to the server, even though the server itself is fine. This can be a local issue (their router is messed up), an internet issue (a temporary outage between them and the server) or an issue with our ISP (our ISP gets knocked offline by some major event, as has happened twice in the last 24 hours). You can identify this type of issue because it usually only lasts a few minutes, and when you do reconnect, the same round is still going on. This sort of issue isn't worth contacting us about. We can't really do anything about it. A github code issue is where the game application locks up or exits, disconnecting you and, when you reconnect a few minutes later, the server is starting a new round. This sort of issue is typically caused by a bug with our game code. This is the sort of issue where if you were doing something very unusual (or saw weirdness) just before the crash you should contact our maintainers/coders about it, so we can better debug the issue and patch our code. A windows server issue is where the underlying physical server that runs the game has a problem. This can be as simple as an unexpected windows update restarting the server at a bad time (shouldn't happen, but just as an example) or as serious as the server's hardware failing. While I do take steps to prevent this sort of thing as much as possible (scheduling updates, having redundant hardware, etc) its still impossible to completely prevent this, and since I'm the only person that can fix this category of issue, this is the sort of thing you need to contact me about personally when it happens (unless you know someone else has already contacted me about it). To re-iterate: In a network issue, you reconnect and its still the same round. Don't contact us. In a github code issue, you reconnect and its a new round. Contact the maintainers/coders. In a windows server issue, then nobody can connect at all for at least 30 minutes. Contact Kyet. Why am I making this post? To reassure people who have noticed the two downtimes in the last 2 days that these were network issues, not actually issues with our server. To explain how to tell the difference between the types, and encourage people to contact the right person regarding each type of issue. To discourage people from incorrectly using the word "crash" to describe network issues, which results in lots of unnecessary panicking by people who don't understand that a network issue is not a "crash" at all.
  23. Ehhh I will say that I'd love sound effects, certainly. My concern lies with our already massive resource download size, which takes ages to download with Byond's capped limit.
  24. Thoughts: All antag roles should have a unique sound that plays for you when you get them, to help set the tone and ensures nobody becomes antag without realizing it. While race-specific sounds are neat, personally I would suggest focusing on sounds that are often heard by everyone. For example, I believe some other servers like CM or TG have fairly neat airlock sounds that are better than ours. Maybe the same is true for glass shattering and other common sound effects. One often-neglected part of our sound is ambient music. While we do have some tracks for things like floating in space, most of the time there is no ambient sound, and perhaps there should be. Ideally having different ambient sound for different departments, or at the very least a few different tracks for the station, would be nice. A lot could be done in terms of weapon sound effects. One of the reasons that the detective's revolver is so satisfying to use is the clear, sharp bang it gives. Conversely, eguns and similar sound rather wimpy. There's a lot of improvement that could be had in the 'feel' of weapons, and probably a bunch of other items, by giving their sound effects more punch.
  25. Death gasp sound if person has oxy damage?
  26. yeah racial audio would be neat Like kidan scream, maybe something like "*hiss" emote for tajarans drasks have their own weird cool as hell sounds, I would love to see every race having their own sounds I personally would love to hear silent clicking everytime kidan speaks
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?