TullyBBurnalot

On Metastation

On Metastation  

211 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/4/2018 at 11:50 PM, ID404NotFound said:

although there is more maint space, and interesting mini department things in maints, it feels like they're all generally one way paths with not much for branching out, or looping around like cyberiad maints. it's neat to see mini botany, mini robotics, mini medical, et cetera, but it's all kind of cramped, and doesn't make it a fun place to lose security in. In cyberiad, there were loops and twists and turns that you could lose people in if you were good/lucky

This may be a serious issue for shadowlings and cults, but in regards to other antagonists, I'm tired of every traitor camping out in maintenance running in circles forever and ever where most of the crew will never even see them. I have no problem with maintenance being a little less maneuverable and forcing them out into the open from time to time, and what can impede an antagonist can likely impede Security too. I think the boosted size of the rest of the station can also compensate for this; cornering someone in the hallways or most departments is going to be more difficult in general. I don't have a problem with "more station, less maint."

One, the Detective's office lacks a pack of DromedaryCo.

Two, there are no flasks at the Bar or the Detective's office.

And finally three, the Detective lacks access to Evidence Storage.

A few minor notes about Medbay:

• I couldn't find any pill bottles for the MDs to use.
  • Every tile that is supposed to be white with a blue corner in the lower-right instead had the blue corner in the upper-left.
  • Cryotubes' pipes look like a mix of being under tiles and over tiles, it looks weird.
  • The morgue had rocket ship carpeting (the same kind as in Box's arcade) for some reason.

Also, it may be nice to replace the Bar and Kitchen airlocks with glass airlocks so they can see into the Club without having to leave their rooms.

Edited by TrainTN
  • Like 1

Is someone using the sec outposts? Do the officers have access to the departments?

Edited by Calecute
Grammar

Also, on a more important note, no one answered me if I should put my issues with meta here or somewhere else. The issues section of the github explicitly says that this kind of thing shouldn't be there:

"The Issues section is not a place to request features, or ask for things to be changed because you think they should be that way; The Issues section is specifically for reporting bugs in the code. Refer to ISSUE_TEMPLATE for the exact format that your Issue should be in."

I've been putting it here cuz it seems like a convenient place to gather all things about meta, but maybe the right way would be starting opening suggestion topics or something else. 

But I mean, if whoever is working on meta is not reading this topic this specific description of issues is kinda useless. 

I like the concept. The overall look is good. But, as many people pointed out; it's not finished in my eyes. Indeed a lot of stuff is missing. It feels kinda empty inside. It just needs some more time to dress the place up. 

I do like the variation in the maps. Looking at the old map gets boring after a while. 

TL;DR

Map is good but needs some more minor work.

• honk 1

Personally, as a Bartender player, I can second wanting glass airlocks to see through between the bar and the club. I personally don't like the bar a whole lot though. The floor tiles make it feel more like a milkshake shop than a classy bar (I like the wood floors on Box) and I feel disconnected from my patrons. There's a literal wall between my main work area and the primary hangout spot, so I feel more like the person off to the side that people briefly stop at for a drink and then leave, than part of the club and social aspect of the ship, and I like to talk to people.

Edited by LuKat

Although this is sort of a necro, I'll chime in in strong support of Metstation as well.

I'm going into my days off and may consider firing up the editor and implementing some of the changes people are suggesting and returning a proof of concept if the staff might, maybe, possibly consider adding it to the rotation on a small percentage chance.

Apologies, I didn't realize I was necroposting. I played on another server running the map as Bartender and it was on my mind at the time.

I didn't know it was pinned, I clicked the latest reply thing and missed the pin icon.

Offer's still good for wrenching on the map, though. What's everyone's main gripes, so far I have rooms are cramped and there's a lack of winlocks/windows.

I played my first round on metastation last night and loved it. I really think we need to make a serious effort to polish the map so that it can be put in rotation, i feel this would go a long way in preventing the game from becoming stale. I did however spend most of the round on the run from security or breaking into places so i didn't really get a feel for how well designed or complete the departments were, but here are a few things i have noticed:

Things i liked:

• Maintenance, although it could use more open areas or looping tunnels in order to be able to avoid people who are chasing you(or just more maintenance).
  • The station is less crowded, this is nice for antagonists / greytiders
  • Several airlocks have high security wire protection( The morgue airlock had two layers of plasteel and a shocked grill), this makes breaking in feel less routine and more rewarding and elevates the status of the insulated gloves, a pair of real gloves should feel like a treasure in the hands of a tider or traitor.

Things i disliked:

• The captain's quarters are tiny and lack interesting fluff items. 
  • The main engineering space is called the engine room(?), this will get you to be charged with major trespass if you break in, even if you are just looking for some tools or gloves(Or the cool metal foam grenades i found in there). 

If you have any thoughts, new or old, on what metastation needs to be ready for rotation, i would greatly appreciate if you append them to this thread.

Edited by Kryson

I find it interesting that the AI upload is off by itself, instead of being accessible from the bridge. That might make it easier to acess, though placing the terminals in the middle of the room instead of next to a wall should make that considerably harder. Still feel as if it's probably easier to do stealthily, though.

Also, I agree on more maint. There don't seem to be any really deep maint areas, like sci maint on the Cyberiad. This feels like it might hinder some antags. 

Are there going to be any tests of the map this week? I'd love to play a few more rounds to get a feel for the place and break up the predictability of the Cyberiad.

Edited by Kryson

10 minutes ago, Kryson said:

the predictability of the Cyberiad.

Predictably, if we do any Meta Station tests you will hear people spam comms with "NOT MY STATION!" and "WHERE AM I?" at the beginning of the round because...well just because...

Sighs with disappointment

I wish we rotated maps enough so that it wouldn't have that element to it...

I did not like small gateways leading to space. They are just 1 unit of size (it is harder to locate a satellite behind you, for example) and there is no button for safe airlock manipulation. It is a very high risk to ventilate items in surrounding room to space.

I did not like a medbay layout. You may get stuck near entrance for a long time when there is not enough doctors to stay at frontdesk.

I liked library layout - it is larger and can hold more people there.

I liked that dormitories have that comfy small bedrooms in addition to futuristic cryodorms.

This map is really big, and it fits more for about 100 users online.

Thing is... I wouldn't play any important job on Metastation. Because I have no idea where I am most of the time. Like, I played sec on Metastation once and my response to "Help Engineering" can't be "Right, let's go google the map of Metastation again". 

Metastation is kind Boxstation .89 to me. It's not worse by measurable standards but the more you play it the more you question why some departments are set up the way they are or why things they are or why certain areas don't have more space or utility while others are given things they don't really need but the map maker thought it would be cool for them to have.

It's not a bad map to start a map rotation system on, though if we start doing things like delta, omega or asteroid you're going to get very bad responses as those maps are all very niche for specific playstyles, like low pop and low rules, particularly in terms of space law.

I wish Polaris station could be modified for Paradise use as the 6(7 if you count the tether) z level station gives a feel of depth and antagonists rig traps to cause people to fall 2+ z levels or gib people by throwing them down the elevator shaft. Though, even as I suggest that I know it would be a nightmare for even a coordination of all out mappers working together to get it optimized for paracode, so thats more of a pipedream than anything.

• Thanks 1

No Scichem is kinda of a let down. Having all the clothing vendors in some back alley maint room is an odd choice (Considering the main communal area is so big). The design of the canteen/theartre is much more restrictive than Box I wish it was more open and more like a "foodcourt"

On 9/25/2018 at 9:38 AM, Aletmagne said:

No Scichem is kinda of a let down

Scichem on meta is in the xenobio area

I was fortunate to play a few rounds on meta a couple days ago. Even more luckily i was the captain. After changing gear and making a civi ID with all access, i ran around and explored the areas in pretty good detail. Overall i love the idea of mixing up the maps. When i first joined paradise not too long ago i got lost in maints near disposals and just wandered around in the excitement of discovery. Meta station brought back a similar feel. Overall i feel the map is much more secure which is a double-bladed sword. On one hand security and command have a better position, on the other hand playing antag is much harder. This is offset however by the AI and Tcomms being on station. While some things might be more secure, others are now open to sabotage. Also the AI Sat is spooky with those cyborg cut outs