Shadeykins

Space Law Feedback/Discussion

Alright then, could we consider my suspended sentencing idea? I think it would result in security being much more willing to release people with a warning while not giving people a free pass to graytide if they continue to do IC crimes, since they'll likely serve the sentence either way.

12 hours ago, TwoCam said:

Alright then, could we consider my suspended sentencing idea? I think it would result in security being much more willing to release people with a warning while not giving people a free pass to graytide if they continue to do IC crimes, since they'll likely serve the sentence either way.

Officers are already able to parole people at their discretion. They can also issue warnings for up to minor crimes.

Again, this is covered by the modifiers.

However I will say that if someone is doing more than a minor crime, you should not be handwaving it. There are no non-serious minor crimes that deserve a handwave.

15 minutes ago, Shadeykins said:

Officers are already able to parole people at their discretion. They can also issue warnings for up to minor crimes.

Again, this is covered by the modifiers.

However I will say that if someone is doing more than a minor crime, you should not be handwaving it. There are no non-serious minor crimes that deserve a handwave.

to name a few crimes of higher categories it may be worth ignoring depending on context: narcotics distribution, major tresspass, posession of contraband

6 minutes ago, Coldflame said:

to name a few crimes of higher categories it may be worth ignoring depending on context: narcotics distribution, major tresspass, posession of contraband

Niche cases should already be covered by the upper clause (about the greater good of the station, etc.). Giving security carte blanche to waive sentences is going to end up likely leading to more resentment against security players who don't waive sentences, which is something we really want to avoid.

They're already able to do something similar (but not quite waiving) under the parole system.

2 minutes ago, Shadeykins said:

Niche cases should already be covered by the upper clause (about the greater good of the station, etc.). Giving security carte blanche to waive sentences is going to end up likely leading to more resentment against security players who don't waive sentences, which is something we really want to avoid.

They're already able to do something similar (but not quite waiving) under the parole system.

nothing in space law (or sop) says security have to arrest people for commiting crimes to begin with, which isn't a bad thing. as written, space law merely defines the jurisdiction available to security to respond to criminals' actions.

security isn't a police force; space law serves prdominantly as a tool that can be used to protect the crew from itself and keep things running smoothly. players who have the 'gotta catch em all' mentality generally end up being awful members of security.

putting non-antags in the brig is incredibly ineffective at correcting the behaviour, and arresting people for victimless 'rp crimes' like smoking weed is pointless. in almost all cases, identifying the root cause the crime is occuring and attempting to correct it will be more effective than throwing the book at the criminal.

The root cause of an RP crime is roleplaying in most circumstances (narcotics distribution is a bit different in a lot of instances, it's not just weed). We are a roleplaying server after all, and security is expected (as is any other job) to make a good and honest attempt at performing their duties.

If the concern is the application of the law, greater good of the station covers this. Otherwise the person should absolutely be sentenced for violating Space Law, it is after all a crime and we are a roleplaying server. Whittling away at "RP crimes" is going to seriously compromise the roleplay levels of the server, people running around while naked and on the kush is--while funny--not something we want to see become an every day occurrence. Installing some form of deterrent (in this case, an IC response via Space Law) is necessary in this regard.

If an officer is feeling amicable about the situation or there are extenuating circumstances, they can parole the prisoner.

tl;dr remove Punpun from being protected by Space Law and you get people beating and dragging the bloody corpse of Punpun all across the station for 30 minutes every single round (Yes, this has happened). Botany is already a powerful meme and some of the drugs they can produce/distribute can seriously derail the flow of a round.

Part of the intent of keeping ambrosia etc illegal when I first wrote up space law stuff was so people could have fun trying to be sneaky and subtle about it, and encourage people to create hidden maint-lairs for drug dealing and getting high.

Wish I saw that more 😞

24 minutes ago, ID404NotFound said:

one time, a captain was making announcements for botany to grow dank space weed, and bring that and rollies to bridge.

If only I was NT rep for that round.