NTscinetest20832

this 4 year old list makes me wonder what makes servers last?

so I found this on reddit and the interesting thing about it being four years old is like 90% of the servers no longer exist.(a bit of a shame since one of them had all the players saying what they say with text to speech and I am curious to see what that was like What was more interesting was basically all the big servers today where around then as well including paradise so admins and anyone else what do you think actually makes a server last, there seems to be a pattern since a bunch of servers people know about now where there back then so maybe if we see whats common between them we can find a pattern? anyway I just made this post as an idea.(here is the link https://docs.google.com/document/d/172vlVjp1NPqkOSS0_zg5i2AZZhyYzM14WcljO-f2mKY/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by NTscinetest20832

Server activity has changed a lot in recent years.

The servers that still exist are basically the ones that always had decent pop. Looking at the hub right now on a Tuesday there's 20 servers with more than 10 people, but that hasn't been the norm most of SS13's life. Looking at a list of servers from yore, you are more likely to see "weekend hobby test" servers on the top ten than now.

yeah but I wonder what makes these more popular than say new servers specifically is it just they have an established community, or have they figured out a way of making the game "work" better than other I do wonder?

Usually the servers that stick around are those that consistently maintain a decent player count while having some niche to carve out. As long as a server is the dominant one of this niche, it tends to survive.

Servers that tend to offer the same thing have to carve out an even more niche thing for themselves to be able to survive; usually this is culturally done or via the setting.

Lack of internal conflict is another; SS13 servers are incredibly drama prone. Baystation, for example, almost died a couple years back; it lost a lot of its staff and its headmins--it was down to 1-4 players a day if they were lucky. Servers that are less drama-ish environments are quite a bit more stable than those that do not. Not shockingly, the more RP-centric a server is, the more drama it tends to have.

Servers that control their own codebase seem to stick around longer too; servers that are downstreams tend to fade, over time, unless they carve  out a very distinctive niche for themselves (Citadel and Hippie Station, for example).

11 hours ago, Fox McCloud said:

the more RP-centric a server is, the more drama it tends to have.

Not... quite true. 

While it's true that the above mentioned incident left Baystation in a fairly compromised state for a time, I actually hear more drama from /tg/ than I do bay, from various sources such as forum boards and... well, Reddit. ?

I often find the same people complaining about the same things when it comes to higher RP servers too. Perhaps not surprisingly... these people dont actually play on those servers. 

I can probably go back each year up to 2014 and list at least one major thing that happened on /tg/ that spiraled into something massive... while I can really only think of "Wah highRP bad" complaints regarding Bay. Again, there was that one giant roadblock they had, but they pulled through it. 

Not to bash on any of these servers, they all fill their own little niches for many different player's desires, and there's merit to playing on each server. No server is really 'bad' per se.