fennofen

Is a hotdog a sandwich? A pop-tart a ravioli? Discuss!

Recommended Posts

I'm here to cause headaches and start up a debate friends of mine have been having for ages. 

Are hotdogs sandwiches?

Are pop-tarts ravioli?

What other foods should technically be classified under another umbrella?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hotdogs are meat flavored bananas with a bun you don't peel off.

Edited by Spacemanspark
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Spacemanspark said:

Hotdogs are meat flavored bananas with a bun you don't peel off.

Revolting imagery, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I already had this discussion with hotdogs! Ans the answer is no, hotdogs are tacos.

  • angryeyes 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fennofen said:

Are hotdogs sandwiches?

Yes, hotdogs are a sandwich as it is meat/'a filler' in between one (or sometimes two, if no longer connected) pieces of bread. Otherwise a sub would not be a sandwich if the bread is connecting - which it is. Certain places in their tax code consider it a sandwich as well.

2 hours ago, fennofen said:

Are pop-tarts ravioli?

No, as a ravioli is pasta and a pop-tart is not pasta. It is not prepared the same way. However A donk pocket could possibly be a ravioli.

31 minutes ago, fennofen said:

But are tacos sandwiches??

Y e s

But I do not feel we are asking the questions that need to be asked, fennofen. If a tomato is a fruit...


Is ketchup a jam?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rebel0 said:

Is ketchup a jam?

It's not a jam, though the argument for it being a preserve can surely be made.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's sweet and made of fruit, I don't know what else you want @fennofen. Brb, gonna go spread some ketchup on my toast.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jam normally has chunks of the fruit in question within it! Preserves don't, and are generally the correct viscosity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fennofen said:

Jam normally has chunks of the fruit in question within it! Preserves don't, and are generally the correct viscosity.

the strictest definition of a jam is a fruit boiled with sugar and put in a jar. Ketchup is prepared the same way. Check these citations for reference.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Ketchup.html

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jam

Check...

mate!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Threeinone said:

the strictest definition of a jam is a fruit boiled with sugar and put in a jar. Ketchup is prepared the same way. Check these citations for reference.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Ketchup.html

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jam

Check...

mate!

I stand rather corrected. Ketchup is a jam!

  • explodyparrot 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This gives me an opportunity to explain something that happened the other day.

20190121_113909.thumb.jpg.ca379b7b004397abe3472ea9a89c86ac.jpg

Now you might be asking yourself...why is ZN sharing a picture of 2 slices of bread? Oh this isn't just 2 slices of bread...allow me to educate you. 

Lunchtime on Monday went like this:

Son "I'm hungry"

Me "You want to make a ham sandwich?"

Son "Okay"

So what I do when my 4 year old wants a sandwich is lay all the ingredients in front of him and let him go to town.

I get the ham, cheese and mustard from the fridge.

Son "No mustard...ketchup"

I shiver at the thought "Okay..."

I put everything in front of him. He applies the ketchup to the bread and then goes to slap the 2nd peice of bread on top.

Me "Don't you want ham and cheese?"

Son "No"

He finishes putting the bread on, I shrug, and he enjoys his creation.

So there you have it folks...a ketchup sandwich.

EDIT: I'm also so tired of people asking this goddamned question hotdog taco or otherwise...are we really that bored? 😛 (the answer is...yes...seriously find something useful to do)

 

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ZN23X said:

So there you have it folks...a ketchup sandwich.

I would eat ketchup sandwiches every day in kindergarten. Your son will go on to do great things. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

I'm also so tired of people asking this goddamned question hotdog taco or otherwise...are we really that bored? 😛 (the answer is...yes...seriously find something useful to do)

I'll stoop to any low to show how I'm right and you're wrong

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ZN23X said:

EDIT: I'm also so tired of people asking this goddamned question hotdog taco or otherwise...are we really that bored? 😛 (the answer is...yes...seriously find something useful to do)

I drive trucks! What else am I to do when at a delivery? Socialise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, fennofen said:

I drive trucks! What else am I to do when at a delivery? Socialise?

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does socialising with strangers on the internet via a forum based around a server on a niche 2D multiplayer game count?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, fennofen said:

Does socialising with strangers on the internet via a forum based around a server on a niche 2D multiplayer game count?

...

...

...yes...

I AM DEFEATED!

  • fastparrot 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 7:45 PM, Rebel0 said:

But I do not feel we are asking the questions that need to be asked, fennofen. If a tomato is a fruit...


Is ketchup a jam?

Ketchup is a preserve/dressing (like Mayo). You could make tomato jam/jelly w/ sugar and pectin. It would be closer to a chutney, presumably.

Tomatoes are indeed fruit! This has to do with the orientation of the epicarp, endocarp, and mesocarp and the fact that it originates from the 'mammary' of the plant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All those people who get annoyed over whether tomatoes are fruit or vegetables hsould just realize that the meaning of words is depending on context. In a botanical context, a tomato is a fruit. In a culinary context, it's a vegetable. Which is a category that has no botanic meaning at all, beyond "Plant part we eat and that is not sweet." There's lots of words that have different meanings in different disciplines. 

Edited by Splgrk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Splgrk said:

All those people who get annoyed over whether tomatoes are fruit or vegetables hsould just realize that the meaning of words is depending on context. In a botanical context, a tomato is a fruit. In a culinary context, it's a vegetable. Which is a category that has no botanic meaning at all, beyond "Plant part we eat and that is not sweet." There's lots of words that have different meanings in different disciplines. 

Both of these words are actually derived from botanical categories.

Tomato being a vegetable is actually the action of grocer's unions demanding its classification as such rather than a natural evolution of language. The common usage is actually derived from the misapprehension of political worker's groups who apparently have nothing better to do. If you've ever worked at a unionized grocery and read its agreement, there's almost always a section in the CBA about tomatoes being fruit.

It's real dumb. 😛

Edited by Shadeykins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, davidchan said:

Cereal is soup. Mash potatoes are hot ice cream.

I hate you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now