Glory to Arstotzka

How did you all find SS13?

I think one of the old "free games ranking" sites of yore, along some fame from SomethingAwful forums setting up their own thing.

Someone mentioned it on the SpaceChem steam forums likening it to the SS13 atmos system, so naturally I looked up Space Station 13 and it caught my interest immediately. Spent the next 3 days reading the Paradise Station Wiki trying figuring out why BYOND address wasn't working.

Space Station got introduced to me via watching OneyPlay's video on it. Which I know has been complained about by some old community members because of the griefing that brought.

Then came MandaloreGaming's review on Space Station into my recommend videos list and BlackPantsLegion. The meme of the game sparked my interest at first till I learned it had a lot of potential as a roleplaying game rather than 'beat the janitor to death and give him explosive cigars' the game or a 2d Trouble in Terrorist Town.

A spanish youtuber made a top 14 games that are almost free, and ss13 was one of those games.

I wanted to play with a discord server I was member of, but in the end I just started played alone and got pretty addicted to this silly 2d spess men game.

A few years ago in highschool a friend introduced ss13 to me and I absolutely loved it. Although a short time later for some reason I stopped playing. 

Half a year ago I rediscovered ss13 through reddit somewhere and I’ve been here since!

• Thanks 1

My friend was bored one night and looking at a list of "Top 100 indie games" that led him to watching Mandalore's video.

He played a round himself where he had an unusual experience (imagine that).

Between Mandalore's video and the story my friend told me I was intrigued enough to try myself.

800+ hours later here I be.

This is all your fault @Pawneax

Edited by ZN23X

Friend introduced me, my first 5 minutes was right clicking a fire alarm and hitting "pull" wondering why it wouldn't work because you do "pull" fire alarms

Found information about it on Russian analogue of 4chan. 

a friend mentioned it briefly years ago. Then some time ago, at a total random moment I was like hey, lets check it out! Been here since. And hooked. Met and keep meeting awesome people.

I found out about the Barotrauma game via 4chan while I was bored, tried it out and saw on the website that it was inspired by SS13. Naturally I wanted to give it a go since I loved sci-fi games and loved Barotrauma. Didn't get very far when I tried spess back in 2016 for my first time, dropped it then came back a year later when I was bored and playing Barotrauma again, got into Paradise and enjoyed it a ton so I stuck around. Now I'm trapped. Help me.

• Like 1

My friend who also plays here introduced me since I needed something to kill time and take my mind off of some bad things going on at the time. When I first tried it, I ended up playing as a Botanist and didn't exactly enjoy myself since everyone knew how to do stuff and nobody was exactly willing to teach me. Eventually though, I landed into the role of Chemist and instantly fell in love with the building aspect of the game and how you can do so much with creating stuff, even if everyone finds blowing it up more enjoyable.

From there I was pestered encouraged to try Security but, not having a lot of confidence in combat decided to go with Internal Affairs where I spent six entire rounds reading Space Law and Standard Operating Procedure, totally not realizing I could do it through the wiki and well the rest is history. ❤️

• Like 2

SS13 was brought up by someone in an old EVE Online group I used to play with a couple of years ago, mostly talking about the crazy shenanigans that go on during rounds and the various jobs and roles you can play as.

Gave it a go at the time, but didn't really play more than a few rounds mostly trying to figure out the controls before I dropped it in favor of continuing to play EVE.

I stopped playing EVE around the middle of last year when my group pretty much disbanded and rediscovered SS13 through Mandalore Gaming's review of the game as well as some of Hippie's old videos. Have been hooked to it since.

10 hours ago, Pckables said:

Someone mentioned it on the SpaceChem steam forums likening it to the SS13 atmos system, so naturally I looked up Space Station 13 and it caught my interest immediately. Spent the next 3 days reading the Paradise Station Wiki trying figuring out why BYOND address wasn't working.

I wonder how much overlap there is between Zachtronics nerds and SS13 nerds.

I came here through Mandalore's video, like many of you

I ended up finding SS13 because of MandaloreGaming's review on it, granted about 2 years after the video's original upload.

Past few months it more or less became one of my most played games.

Well I can't remember exactly where I figured out about the game. I think I found it being compared to games like haven and hearth or roguelikes though not sure been a long time.

Friend introduced me in high school. He stopped playing soon after, but I couldn't get past my addiction. 

Twitch streamer introduced it to me, learnt on a quiet server then migrated to Paradise. Lone wolf from begin to end

A close friend with whom I've had secret vice of regularly having LAN's - of course with absolutely nerdy games - since kids, introduced me.  That was last summer though if I remember right he did tell me of it a time before that, but then I didn't try. Both times it was Mandalore's video during a break after extensive DOOM sessions, so I guess we both count as being bought here by Mandalore. That my friend plays here too, but we don't interact much in station. As far as I know he isn't even around OOCly (if you read me anyway, thanks, nerd).

But yeah I was immediately sold for it. My first two rounds comprised of getting killed by oxyloss at arrivals at first and then being introduced into the art of flipping by some chaplain and being thralled by Slith while maintlooting. My successes back then were being able to flip, to talk into the sling hivemind and to make a spear (for I thought initially that being armed is mandatory in order to stay alive, couldn't actually believe they were not after my spaceman. As you could guess got quickly to know that oh yeah they aren't, and when they are, they will slip and honk you to the chest faster than one could spell Desmond Summy, and then kill you, probably squishing in the process). Then got into medical, somebody effectively taught me chemisty during my first medbay shift. Played medbay until I felt comfortable enough with the game mechanics to try security. Thankfully, that shift HoS Heidi Kujala did recruit me from the manifest, so long I've most been into sec, if not a med. Mentioned these, for I love it most because of the attitude here. Couldn't think a video game to get much more human, while still being a fun game about some men in space.

Edited by Regular Joe
  • Like 3

I got into the game because of my boyfriend @HereticChurch  ♥

He started playing around 2013 after a few friends of ours talked about it in passing,  after he played it for so long he'd tell me all the different stories and situations that happened in game... he talked about it a lot.  When April of 2015 came around I decided I'd finally try the game so he'd stop harassing me about it, and I thought well, we'll just make up an account and play once or a few time and then I'll probably never play this game ever again.  and now we're here.

• Like 1
  • explodyparrot 1

A friend of mine told me about the game and started to teach me. Trying to learn how to light a cigarette the first time was rough.

• Like 1

My roommate showed me Colonial marines, I became interested and started playing there. Initially came over to para to learn engineering to try my hand at combat engineer on CM not knowing the two systems where different, stayed on para because of nerdy admins.