Glory to Arstotzka

How did you all find SS13?

My friend Luna/Lorna found out about it somehow, talked to Hatton, who talked to me. That was almost ten years ago, and I started on D2k5. Those were the days.

Back in..... Dec 2016? Found a guy on Unturned (i have 600 hours on it help please) who introduced it to me, saying his brother played it and it got his attention. We spent like a day figuring out which server, reading the wiki to see what we'll play, etc. Our first game was doing a chef and his assistant game, which went horribly as he was assassinated by a traitor. Our.... friendship lasted a whopping one week, when we were cargo techs and this game came in and bashed him to crit, in which I tried to counter-bash the guy to crit. After I got brigged for going too far in protecting him and him dying as well, he got pissed at me saying I should've helped earlier. I told him that I already got brigged for like 10-15 minutes, at that point he blocked me, till now I haven't had contact besides seeing his character a few times last year.

Bumping around in an old anime/rp chatroom back in 2012 when someone mentioned it and describing their first encounter of roaming the station lost before a clown ran up, stabbed them in the eye with a screwdriver and then dragged them into the bathrooms and stabbed them to death before leaving their body there and running off. Downloaded byond and hopped on the first server I saw (goon) and immediatly hated the controls, UI and sprites. Few weeks later same friends told me of another server and had me try that, would up playing as a janitor bumbling around aimlessly cleaning up water with an oh so friendly AI/telescience god who just started teleporting me and my mop bucket everywhere he saw a mess before he tricked me into touching a xenoarch artifact that borged people (the exchange being something along the lines of 'What do you want to do now?' 'I don't know, something fun.' "a moment...' **ZAP** 'That artifact is very interesting and fun.' *Touch* "I LIVE AGAIN")

Since than it's been on and off over the years surfing servers and seeing the best and worst this game has to offer.

You can blame @Rebel0 and @Harkness for getting me into this. 

no seriously blame them for me being here, they're the ones who took the time to intro me and a dozen others to the game, help us learn all the little things on a small private server, and were there for me whenever I had a slew of questions about what the fuck to do. I still have to ask them about stuff at times and I've logged a decent few hours.

• Like 2

I first found out about SS13 in a random video that mentioned it. After that i looked on youtube to see some gameplay/reviews on it. Found OneyPlay's review video watched same with BlackPant's videos watched them and became interested a lot in the game. So i went to download BYOND and start playing it. I played some servers like TG, CM etc. but didn't really liked playing much there except for CM it was quite fun, but TG seemed to have too much chaos for me so i started playing on Paradise and now i am here!

On the CataDDA forums. Had just played System Shock 2 for the Nth time, and wanted to play something else on a space station.

Was years deep into GMod and one of my buds told me about Baystation and how wild SS13 was. I was totally enthralled

I watched hours upon hours of videos about the game from the likes of yorp, plump, hippie and many more and forgot about it for a year

I eventually got thinking again when my scene in GMod started to die (RIP :'() and naturally as I needed a replacement I dived headfirst into SS13 on the most populated server I could find, which was Paradise. I never really made it to Bay.

It's been years and I still miss the hell out of my main squeeze but SS13 has done alright for me since.

Edited by KasparoVv

6 hours ago, KasparoVv said:

been years and I still miss the hell out of my main squeeze but SS13 has done alright for me since.

So we're just your side bitch? 😞

i thought we had something special! 

• Like 1

Watched a youtube video and I decided to check this game out, turns out it is pretty fun. I started to play Paradise, and I found I really loved it since I had more sucess and didn't die on the first few minutes

The first game of SS13 I ever played happened because a friend showed the game to me. I can not remember which server it was, all I remember is failing to defeat the interface and quitting soon. (Because I was basically thrown into a round blind, literally knowing nothing about SS13)

Never bothered to deinstall Byond though. So a while later (Like a long while later probably over a year) I started it up again and properly tried out SS13.

You all have this interesting stories on how you got here. 

Me? 

Mandalore. 

• honk 1

I was looking for something similiar to barotrauma/dwarf fortress/ roguelikeish. I found ss13, first server I joined was Colonial mareeeens, I was discouraged by weird graphics and controls on my first game after 10 minutes. I left, and came back about year later. I gave game a chance, and got sucked in without escape.

Edited by Blaze789

A same inhuman friend who forced me into Dwarf Fortress forced me into SS13 as well.

On 4/23/2019 at 1:34 AM, necaladun said:

So we're just your side bitch? 😞

Definitely not, I had to put my OG in the dirt! I was 'widowed' for a time but the void has doubtlessly been filled. I loved but let go; I can't carry on addicted to a memory.

On 4/23/2019 at 1:34 AM, necaladun said:

I thought we had something special!

We do and I sincerely hope it never ends. Right now there are no other games I enjoy as much as good ol' space.

Edited by KasparoVv
  • Like 1

Funnily enough, it was tvtropes that got me into SS13. Was looking around the site and discovered Dwarf fortress, which ended up leading me to the ss13 article. I then proceeded to stick with yogstation before desiring more and migrated to paradise.

• Like 1

I vaguely recall learning about SS13 through Dwarf Fortress community. I didn't give it a shot immediately, but a few years later I was so bored I decided to give spessmen a shot.

Honestly, there is very little difference between an average dwarf and SS13 player.

I went into my brother's room one time in 2011 and he was on this weird game.
"What is it?"
"Space Station 13, you should download it and play with us."

I left his room and forgot the conversation had ever happened.

On Christmas day, at about 2:30am in 2016 I suddenly remembered the conversation with my brother and downloaded it. I have only played on Paradise since I started.

• Like 2

Barotrauma is where I heard of it. I think a few other places too but I cant remember where. I immediately checked out goon and looked into it for a while until I found paradise. I instantly loved paradise and when I got the game I actually played a couple games of CM due to being afraid of screwing someone majorly up on para. Eventually I got enough (willpower?) to join para. It's been my main ever since and I cant get enough.

Heard the streamer Vinesauce Joel talk about it, in a Dwarf Fortress stream I think. He mentioned that it was introduced to him as similar to TTT, but the Clown obsession and lag issues he apparently had turned him off from playing it. I was into TTT at the time, so I gave it a shot. Started playing as Chef, and couldn't breathe from all the laughing, as the kitchen was quickly covered in blood, flour and vomit, while I was just shoving random things into the various kitchen machines. I was hooked instantly.

About a million years ago I played Space Station 13 and later on SomethingAwful had picked it up and good times were had, but I eventually stop playing. A long time goes by and they make their code open source and my friends get very excited, but I mostly ignored it.

I peeked at Paradise before, when they had ambassador jobs, and it seemed pretty fun. I think I played elsewhere, however.

Fast forward to now, it seeped into my recommends on YouTube and I looked around at what servers were around, and saw that Paradise encouraged some roleplay and here I am!

• Like 1

From Sseth... I never even heard of BYOND before finding his video, so, yeah, came in the Ssethtide.

This is going to make me sound really old, but it was through an IRC chat room.

I was following the development of a game that a friend had mentioned to me back in late 2012 (it was Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine) and I'd joined their IRC, which had a bunch of other fans and the game devs in it.

I was there for a few months just chatting, and then one day someone mentioned they were playing a "funny space game as a janitor" and how they were having so much fun "cleaning the floors and watching everyone slip on their ass" because they kept ignoring his wet floor signs. He kept telling us stories of what was happening in his games, and it just looked really interesting! I asked him to show me the ropes around early 2013, and now here we are.