Lonelyspaceman

What's your favourite job?

Basically, which job do you like to play most? Do you love playing security most, hunting after the evils endangering the station? Is your favorite activity saving lives (Or minds as psychiatrist) in medical? Or could it even be that you just enjoy being a civ who sits in the bar all day enjoying life?

Personally, I can't really say that I have an absolute favorite/main, but I have been playing chaplain for the last few rounds. There's just something neat about it. It's definitely the awesome chainsaw sword.

This may have been asked before but I'm too lazy to search through the entirety of general discussion to check.

Head of Personnel: trying to deal legitimate/reasonable crew issues, forcing said crew to do paperwork, and watch said crew die in the inside due to paperwork.

Also the relentless bureaucracy when the other command members tries to break the standard procedures of command.

Acting Captainship is a pain however

13 hours ago, Lonelyspaceman said:

Basically, which job do you like to play most?

I liked Medical Doctor, especially surgery and saving people until the 'New Crit' changes began.
I don't actually have an opinion on New Crit itself, because I've never played at trying to doctor it.
The community environment that I saw around the changes was so toxic that I turned off medical roles.
I don't want the drama, and I do want things to settle. I want to have a comfortable 'correct' way to play a doctor again.

I like playing Bartender because I charge for drinks. (10 credits/each, cash only)
You'd be surprised how many people come into the bar and balk at the charge.
At least two shifts, I've had people trash the place over not getting free drinks!
One cool shift, somebody won 10,000 credits on the slot machine, put it down on the counter, and said "Drinks are now free."
The secret to the gimmick is that anybody who takes the effort to RP, even a little bit, can get free drinks from me.

I like playing all the Security roles, mostly because it's difficult to get right, but very important to get right.
Bad shitcurity can wreck the round for dozens of people without even trying.
One of my favorite rounds was telling people "On Green, we don't cuff or tase if they come willingly."
And an officer did just that, asked, a mime to come in for questioning.
The Mime came in, sat down, and LOOC: First time security has ever asked me, karma point for that.
The officer got the karma, but the LOOC was worth more than 20 karma points to me.

I was worried about playing Head of Personnel for a long time.
The first time I tried the role, a civvie agreed to be my 'assistant' and tutored me on the role.
Turns out it wasn't so bad, mostly just 15 minutes of scrambling followed by an hour and half of boredom.
Mind, this was before the greytide influx. These days it's more like a never ending line and you have no jobs to give out.
I've had two pretty negative Head of Personnel rounds recently, so I've switched the role off for awhile.

Recently my favorite role has been Captain.
I never played it on Oracle, because I didn't feel like I had enough experience at SS13.
Also, some of the Captains that I encountered on Oracle were absolutely terrible.
So with some trepidation I jumped into the role.
Turns out the job is difficult, but in a completely different way from most jobs.
On most other jobs, the task is clear and you just have to do it.
Captain is on the bridge and knows almost nothing about what's going on.
So the job is to discover your job; gather necessary information, set direction, and empower other people to do their jobs.
Depending on who is on your team, this ranges from extremely easy to extremely difficult.
A good Blueshield is easily worth their weight in plasma.

I have never unlocked any karma picks, but I'm thinking about unlocking Blueshield and Magistrate.

Janitor on paradise. 

Just a mop and bucket, setting up signs as needed. 

You'd be surprised how many people thrashtalk you for not going with the flow and using space cleaner, acting like you've displeased the queen or something. 

Salvage Tech on Bay. 

Research loves you for bringing back rocks, explorers love you for the vast gadgets of metal cutting and occasional monster killing and fleet personnel hate your guts for being a civilian with a gun. 

Security hands down.

My favorite parts of security are probably some of the aspects many hate. You run into the widest array of personalities and play styles so you are always experiencing something different. Sometimes you'll be dealing with a criminal who is RPing some interesting scenario really well, other times you'll be dealing with some shitter who you get to toy with, and countless other different personalities. This even includes the people you are working with. Sometimes the security force is a well oiled machine, other times its a complete clusterfuck, and everything in between. You get to deal with all the different antags and their varying play styles as well. I've dealt with so many different interesting situations I cannot even remember them all. I've died any way you can possibly imagine and probably a handful of ways you wouldn't think of. I love how it can sometimes be slow and relaxing but other times it snowballs into a situation that is impossible for security to manage.  Because of these things, I think every other department is unbelievably boring and repetitive by comparison.

I can't really say which role within security is my favorite because I enjoy them all for various reasons. Unless I'm in the mood for a specific role I'll just do what I call "Security Roulette" and just have every job in sec set to medium n see what I get.

It is not about the job, kiddo, it is all about fulfilling my syndicate contract.....

Edited by McRamon
  • stunbaton 2

I enjoy most of the medical field, but mostly playing as a doctor. Just because I like to be able to bring people back into the game or to fix them up to continue on playing.  But really it's probably a love hate relationship I have with the role.

I think one of my most favourite jobs would be bartending, just because I get a chance to interact with other people and sometimes learn things about them.

For me, it would be a close call between civvie, roboticist, or chaplain. 

Civvie because I love to mess around as a superhero (or supervillain when antag).

Roboticist because I love helping IPCs and seeing how much junk I can make.

And chaplain because (and this is purely my opinion, so of course I'm bias) nearly every other chaplain I see is either greytide with free weapon or DEUS VULT ALL THE [insert player race here]!!!! I like to think that me sticking as a "serious" chaplain will lead to both a better view on chaplains and others being inspired to get deeper into chaplaincy.

• Like 1

No worries fellow chaplain lover if I ever manage to complete the current plans I have my church will be the most rad of them all!

• Like 2

Bartender, coroner, engineer and Cargo Tech/QM. I love the characters I made up for each of them. I love it when people actually have a character themselves when I play bartender, and aren't just a "GIVE ME BOTTLE OF WHISKEY" greytider. I love making up random things that happened at a fake nightclub and seeing how extreme I can get with it. 

When I play coroner I just like being sassy to people and making fun of those medical tv shows "I hate those shows that make the medical field all sexy. No one ever wants to bang the coroner!" or sitting in my office and entertaining the dead with my renditions of whatever I'm listening to and not stopping when people come in to drop off corpses.

I love being a parody of all the losers on CM who act like weirdo space communists because they want to say comrade and drink vodka all the time. And if I can do that while setting up Solars I play engie.

And it's just fun being a Space Texan in Cargo.

I'll never understand people who just greytide all the time and don't even have the decency of a gimmick.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pokebro2000 said:

And chaplain because (and this is purely my opinion, so of course I'm bias) nearly every other chaplain I see is either greytide with free weapon or DEUS VULT ALL THE [insert player race here]!!!! I like to think that me sticking as a "serious" chaplain will lead to both a better view on chaplains and others being inspired to get deeper into chaplaincy.

This is nice to see. The character I usually play (Katlyn Hudson) follows Space Daddy because there was one round (a Nations round, no less) where she needed to have a funeral for someone gibbed by a Wizard. The Chaplain on at the time was a Chaplain of Space Daddy. The conversation went something like this:

Katlyn: I need a Chaplain to hold a service for someone who died.
Genny: Most people reject my religion.
Katlyn: I have no problem with any religion, I just want to honor the dead.
Genny: We'll hold a service in the chapel.

Because there was a Chaplain who took their time to do their job RP wise, and because they seemed to be a bit of an underdog in terms of acceptance, I decided to have Katlyn adopt support for the religion because it had supported her.

Later, the religion of Space Daddy was mostly banned on the server; it strayed a little too close to the rules against ERP.
Not in the sense that there was explicit erotic content, but it invoked enough discomfort for the admins to say: Yeah, No.

Katlyn continues to follow it, in a "Replace the term 'God' with the term 'Space Daddy' when talking" sense.

Once, it actually came up in RP. Katlyn was Captain and there was a Chaplain of Khorne who kept building rage cages in the chapel.
Katlyn made an announcement that religious diversity was valued, but rage cages were against space law and had to be dismantled.
The Chaplain came to the bridge to argue for the rage cages, with another follower accusing Katlyn of trying to ban the religion of Khorne.
Katlyn said, "You think it's easy following Space Daddy in a Nanotrasen environment? Not really, but I make do and find a way to make it work under Space Law."
We worked out a compromise where followers could beat themselves to fulfill the bloodletting part of the religion, no rage cage needed.

So yes, I'd love to see more Chaplains who take the effort it RP it. And thank you for taking on that role.

• Like 1

I have not played captain in a long time, but I like it a lot.

I also like mining if I want a quiet mining round (then RNG gives nukies)

I like warden, hos SOMETIMES, and officer, even though I'm one of the most UNROBUST crew on the station. (And then RNG rolls nukies )

Detective is something different entirely. I go to the HOP, get a civ ID with sec acess, get greytide gear, put my sec encryption key in a normal headset, and go fully undercover. Then have officers in the brig wondering what the fuck a civilian is doing there and how I got in. Honk.

Synthetic is one of my all-time favourites. MALFRED is quite frequent on the station.  As cyborg, or as AI. Also, MALFRED is my AI and malf-ai name, no one bats an eye. Honk.

NT rep for roleplay if CC is active, it can be really good. Blueshield if I want a (hopefully) quiet round.

Magistrate for ZE POWER!!!!11!!  but seriously, magistrate can be really good. I got the clown (I think it was Grin Fandango) out of a long sentence once, by pointing out security had no proof for one of the two charges. The clown was then released post haste because they had been in processing for ages. 

• clown 1
  • honk 1

Atmos and IAA. 

As IAA it feels really good to get some not working part of the station back to work. Talking to CMO about lack of meds, she tells me they had a good chem but he vanished and the other one is shit, but she'll do the chem herself, then going to HoP to tell him, and getting him to hire a chem, and seeing chem working again, so CMO is free to do other things, or finally getting a chef that cook and don’t disappear is quite satisfying.

And as atmos just sitting at the alarm with some food and booze and calling people to fix things is pretty good too. Especially when we have a competent team and I can be lazy and never leave my post or don a hardsuit. 

I started out doing Bartender almost exclusively for my first 3 months or so playing on the station.  It's still probably my favorite, but I've branched out a lot since.

I genuinely enjoy playing Head of Personnel and doing anything in Cargo, and NT Rep is also fun, all the benefits of command and none (hopefully) of the responsibility.  Eventually I'd like to learn to engineer properly but I enjoy remaining somewhat technically inept, as it fits with the character.  Rooster's more of a people person... if you can believe that.

• Like 1

Already replied to this thread,  but I've recently discovered a love of Robotics. It's science but fun and easy to figure out.

Mining and janitor, always has been and always will be! It's how I started and how I'll end.

I wanna say my favorite job is probably HOP.

Captain, I enjoy this rank due to you have control over everything going on the station...to a point. I want the station to run smoothly, not just for me, but for everyone else who is playing and being captain makes this happen 90% of the time. Many people don't like Wolf as captain.

NT Representative, this rank I find relaxing to do. I feel I can offer a lot of my knowledge to command, especially when they are new, and hopefully get them on the same page as Wolf on how to run a station/department as smoothly as possibly while being very rude about it *Flexes*

Chief Medical Officer, this rank is third of my favourites because it makes time go by really fast...you are constantly busy with patients, new medical staff, or being targeted by antags for your gear.

Head Security and Blueshield, I don't know why I don't play this more, I really should as I don't get much battling experience. They share number 4 because I like them both, I am currently playing more BlueShield to get slowly get my battle experience back to par.

Lastly, Magistrate, this role I like to keep an eye on security. Being NTR really helped me getting a better understanding for legal standard of procedures, allowing me correct officers handling process, Warden's and HoS. I have witnessed a lot of shit-curity bullshit which should never happen and hopefully, I can make them less of shit-curity and more security.

Edited by Trubus
  • angryeyes 1

Magistrate, IAA and NT Rep.

Reason is mostly the same for all of them. I enjoy the interactions I typically get to have with others as IAA, Magistrate and NT Rep. You can get a lot done with paperpushing, you can make really N I C E looking papers using formatting. 

Captain and Head of Personnel

I really enjoy these but they're iffy sometimes. Captain can be sitting there staring off into space while you watch the station fall apart but in a way it's nice to be able to have some authority. Not be a dick using it but making decisions, impacting the round and actually doing stuff such as big judgement calls. Interactions with crew can be great too, especially actually having your belongings be targets of antags which makes you have to deal with them to an extent. Head of Personnel is similar but add on some paperwork and the ability to change someones ID from Engineer to N for being annoying.

Plus - traitor HoP is honestly great to do. Messing with ID's, sometimes struggling with objectives due to everyone's eyes being on you yet being easier due to your mystical ID machine, etc.

Left one out - Warden.

Wardening is fun to do since you get to control brig timers. The issue tends to be trying not to be a dick by shoving someone in a cell for 15 minutes for something small even if space law says you can give them 15 minutes with how many charges. It feels unique from Sec officer in a way - some good interactions with other security members and prisoners. Managing the armory, being a sort of 'backup' Sec officer on code red/when the station is DYING. Being security but being a bit 'separate' from the regular officer when it comes to what you do. Plus you can make rounds for people, fix Security being Shitcurity with their timers, etc.

Edited by Rebel0
  • Like 1

My favourite job is probably the barber...because i love impersonating people...and do surgeries with pens, forks and mouse traps...

Cooking stuff is fun too i guess...

Science...especially telescience...the "telescience"...at first i really tried hard by finding coordinates, carefully calculating everything and such...now i just take approximate coordinates and hope for the best, sometimes it works, sometimes i get teleported into singularity...one time i got teleported into the permabrig with vampires, good thing i mostly play as an IPC and i had a bloodpack on me

Recently got some fun out of wardening it's pretty relaxing half of the time

My favorite job is being a shitter, and building things in maint as Koala Rice.

Edited by Greey
  • fastparrot 1

Warden is SUPER FUN, I love being the one who decides on if you're nice enough for a light sentence or deserve all I can give you for being a twit, buuuut if I have a sec team under me that's about as useful as tits on a bull, I get rather frustrated.

Botany is a nice and quiet job, I find, it's pretty up there in terms of how much I like it.

And I love to be a total and complete shitter, of course. Using plastic flaps to escape a bunch of angry sec officers is a thing of beauty.

Edited by fennofen