Rooster Cogfeld

How Much Are You Your Character?

Pretty self-explanatory, as per the title; how much of yourself IRL do you see in your character(s)?

For myself, I'm (thankfully) very different than Rooster, at least on the surface.  I'd like to think I have good hygiene, I'm of a herculean physique (or near enough to it for any nerd that pretends to be a spessman), don't smoke, not much of a drinker.  Under the skin, however, we share some similarities; I'm pretty direct in dealing with people and don't like to beat around the bush with opinions.  I can be crass, but I prefer to think of it as 'descriptively honest'.

I did spend some time hopping around the country tending bar for shits and giggles, however, so that's where that comes from.

• Like 2

Wolf O'Shaw

I'm not as muscular as he, though I'm trying to tone. Getting there.

Not a smoker or drink a lot.

Normally quiet, not talkitive.

Not flirty like he is.

Not aggressive.

I'm a lot nicer, but act like him when I am pissed off.

• Like 1

I try to separate myself as much as possible from my characters.

I treat them like art projects. There is a bit of me in each of them of course, but having too much of my actual person in them doesn't feel right. It's easier and more fun when I can separate myself.

Some examples:

Serac- bigger chunks of myself than usual but ultimately very different. Very fun to play as for whatever reason and stuck the most. The biggest part of "me" there is her musical background, though she is a lot better at it than I am IC-ly.

Agnes Hoxton (previously Kiraly) - A completely different person. There really isn't much of me in her at all. She has archetypes and concepts I personally find interesting though, and it stuck for a while.

Sedna- Same deal. Mannerisms may be sort of similar but ultimately a very different person.

Clementine Walsh - Extremely different. Someone I'd probably find annoying myself but fun to play as.

Autumn Willard (if you even remember that character)- Someone I'd dislike most likely, but again fun to play as. A misguided "bad person".

• Like 1

I have like, a few characters.

Chester Pattel - I made the mistake of making him with me in mind. He's like a carbon copy of me except if I was in space on a dangerous research vessel with an extreme knowledge of engineering. I regret making him like this, because I really am starting to dislike how similar we are.

Urbana - I mean, I'm not a slime person. I'd say we have a similar enthusiasm, but we definitely do not act the same.

Lucius Norwood - Not like me at all. When he's not cold and calculated, he's got a work ethic and teamwork mindset that I wish I could maintain.

Ashton Kane - "Praise be to Ember!" Religious nut. That's why he's my chaplain character.

Joseph Sanford - Joseph Sanford is a moral professional. I am not a professional so you can imagine how it'd hard to maintain this character, but I manage.

Elijah Price - Space fascist. A mean spirited, and cold person. I think he's as far away from me in the personality department as physically possible. I think I manage to play him well.

Squash - Aha! I haven't played this guy yet! I want him to be a nervous and timid slime person. Skiddish and afraid of any danger. Don't expect to see him in the maintenance shafts.

And that's all my characters. Some I play more than others. I think I do a decent job at maintaining my distance from them and not being too much like any of them.

Because when you are your characters, then problems arise.

• explodyparrot 1

Me? A black humour infused nerd with glasses, neckbeard included. 

Thankfully far from fat and fedora-wearing. 

Navere Reach (Para): Moustached neer-ne-do-well, loves hacking things, being a thief and a good cigar. (I despise smokers IRL, no stache either) 

Albert Reach (CM): Follows the same general pattern as Navere, but aimed at acting like the practical sergeant. 

Off course command, we will gladly destroy that hive for you, no command, we cant rush to aid of "Insert high ranking moron" because of "Insert thing that would easily snap us in half". 

Generally the type to not be afraid to throw obscenities at command. 

Conall Giles (Aurora): Kind hearted, fragile as snow redhead with an obvious Welsh influence. 

Gets along with anyone, even giant ant people. 

Alfred Reach (Bay): Looks exactly like Albert, own story being they are twin brothers. 

Practical and pragmatical, cold and cynical as a traitor, always trying to exploit info to their fullest. 

Currently my proudest work. 

Cheese Burger

I am in fact, a Cheese burger android.

Cheese Burgers are in fact delicious

Am I sadly also a workaholic.

100% flirty like he is.

Exceptionally aggressive about you eating quality.

Chef Excellence produces the best In fast food, accept no substitutes.

889620345_ChefExcellence.jpg.4833e97e77b94169034deacc4534db72.jpg

Edited by Driker

59 minutes ago, Driker said:

Chef Excellence produces the best In fast food, accept no substitutes.

889620345_ChefExcellence.jpg.4833e97e77b94169034deacc4534db72.jpg

*Eats cup noodles anyway*

1 minute ago, TheClosetMailman said:

*Eats cup noodles anyway*

Cup noodle? Why make cup noodle when you can make pancakes for no good reason at 2AM?

While Lich and I tend to share a brain when it comes to problem solving and what our comfort-zones are, we act very different from one another.

- I am extremely talkative / verbose in comparison to Lich.
- I am not really that animated non-verbally.
- I actually hate texting IRL.
- I tend to approach problems like him though and I don't panic easily.
- Not nearly as awkward around people as him but equally as friendly.
- I am just as if not MORE unlucky than he is (I spent 2-4 hours in jail IRL just for showing up somewhere I was suppose to be).
- I don't smoke anymore but I drink a Lot more then he does.

Edited by Medi

This is a hard one...

I guess it all depends on my mentality at the moment, sometimes i am more like one character, sometimes the other or the other way around...

Also i am sadly not a robot *beep *boop 

About as useless in the game as i am IRL 😄

Guess the most common thing between me and my characters is keeping up appearances and i guess the fact that i dont really care about anything.

• Like 1

Each of my characters has their own unique personality in my mind. They all see and react to the same things differently. I have to be very much immersed in order to "play my characters correctly" so I can naturally express their personalities IC without forcing it. But their personalities aren't a reflection of my own.

I guess you could say its all an act. That's part of what makes it so much fun.

I'd be bored out of my mind if I played this game as a character that just acted like me. I get to act like me all the time.

EDIT: Cuz I had a thought.

The only time I'd say my personality comes out in a character is when I take little IC shots at people like "What the hell is wrong with you? You aren't acting like a (adult/job), you are acting like a kid playing a video game" kek

Edited by ZN23X

None of my characters are really like me. Thank god.

However, all of my characters do have something in common with me in a way - they're all from interests of mine. Boris, the war vet Soviet who's inspiration came from a WWII soviet aesthetic mixed with references in his character to the Soviet-Afgan War and Chechen Wars. Mariya who stems from my interest in the Russian Civil War and Spanish Civil War. (But no one has picked up on those subtle references) Aylin Orban who's first name is actually a feminine name meaning 'moon' in Turkish and is my love for Turkish and Ottoman history - which I try to reference in his story.

I'm nothing like the poor-Common speaking bulky Russian man, the mostly quiet music lover with a temper, nor the asshole vulp. 

None of them are like me - however all of them contain my interests in them. So there's a mild connection, I suppose.

• Like 1

i am an australian crocodile irl that hisses and stuff 100%

(Real response)
In regards comparing Slith to myself, Slith is more.. how I would be would I not be affected by anxiety and the load of crap that comes with it. I'm not nearly as expressive as I am when I am in character. The reason he is known as "the maint lizard" is because I am a sucker for horror and science fiction, which is why SS13 has grown on me tenfold. I will most of the time put others ahead of myself which sort of coincides with Slith, himself.

So to put it short I think its a 80-20? if we put it into a ratio?

• clown 1

I don't think someone can really separate themselves from their characters.  None of us are good enough role players for that.

We can show different aspects of ourselves, or different situations, but for off the cuff type things, no.

So while characters may be more interesting, or may behave in different ways, the behavior is forced.  At the end of it, the personality is the players.

Hence why I grimace when I get responses to ahelps like "Oh my character is just an asshole."  Sure, you can play a certain way, but reflection is inescapable.

• Like 2

If it is truly absolute that my character has to be my personality in the end, I'm kind of worried.

Chase Tireman is basically like some guy who got stuck in the past when the word "Rad" was still a thing. (And oh Boy does he love using it (Or that's how I try to make him, I tend to forget when chaos starts going down)). I mean I don't speak English all the time in real life so the word Rad isn't really present, but I wonder if I'm unknowingly using some kinda mother language version of it.

Wind over the Void is well, a Diona. I don't really have some kinda super special character trait figured out for him. Honestly he's mostly a normal person who's just kinda a Diona. Maybe in that way it represents me more than the actual human character.

Kete Wawakari is 100% my self-insert into space station, just... hairy, with a more colourful background, and with a fair bit more of a mind-to-mouth filter. Also totally not my fursona or anything

My mute vulp I play when I want a bit of a challenge, as that means I have to get around the whole communication block in super interesting ways. She's not much like me at all, really.

All my other characters are literally just for memeing and dicking around hardcore, so other than my love of being an utter twit, not much of me with them either.

35 minutes ago, fennofen said:

Also totally not my fursona or anything

Hmmmm

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, fennofen said:

silence

*background noise steadily gets louder, skreeing and howling getting ever closer, hell's roar soon echoing the halls*

I am 100% my character, it's literally just me being me.

The character I play, Allen Wilkerson, isn't much like me at all. Allen's pretty dang proactive and doesn't sweep things under the rug. 

The main traits we share are the Sleep problems and the infrequent Spanish words. (For example, calling the Chaplain "Padre")

• Like 1

Alfred Keitel -- There's some of me in there. When he's on to something, he'll commit 100% to it. Be it cleaning or commanding a station. Also random bouts of OwO fun (*cough* @MysticLiger @TheSardele *cough*) and getting along splendidly with some colleagues who I feel are a bit alike ( @Regular Joe

• angryeyes 1
  • fastparrot 1

6 hours ago, Kpiozero said:

For example, calling the Chaplain "Padre"

Like yesterday?

Anyways, i'm mostly my character with how i behave and act. Though i tend to be more strange or obnoxious (for example, i see two people standing next to each other [opposite gender] and go "cute couple!". I like to be fun chaotic or just stupidly annoying.