IntentEldiablo

Bigger, Better Audio

Hello all, for the uninitiated let me introduce myself. I am IntentEldiablo, Mentor and also known as Ipsum Bellus Crinitus. I just recently finished my University Honors Degree in Audio Engineering and started to have ideas on what I could contribute, improve and/or add to the sound and quality of the audio on our server.

So far, I have a number of ideas, such as adding more racial sounds, such as screams and yells or adding more ambient sounds too such as airlocks and maints. But I wanted to reach out to the community and gather your own thoughts and opinions on the different sound affects you would like to see added to the server, or any existing sounds that YOU feel can be made better and improved. I don't play a wide range of job rolls on the server, typically security and mining as such i would be relying on you to throw suggestions from different departments or roles in order to gain a bigger scope.

Likewise, for those who are working on big projects or new PR's for the server who would like some assistance with audio files please feel free to message, I don't bite (Ipsum might). So, leave any suggestions down below, or Pm me on discord lists or single suggestions and I shall start looking into things this coming week. Let me know what you think

Thank you :3

• Like 4
  • explodyparrot 2

Fire has no sound itself. Neither bonfires.

Air alarms and status consoles could give some low key sound indication when changing states.

Terror spiders need *hiss and *chitter to demoralize the enemy.

Entertainment monitors need some indication when there's active cameras broadcasting.

If pipes creaked and hissed every now and then when they carry 9000 kpa, clicked when they are very hot and clanked when cooling down it'd be neat too.

• Like 2

Racial diversity in audio would be nice! Having one scream for one and all has always bothered me (except those filthy toasters get their own scream!). That would be a priority for me personally as in what I would like to see done.

Maybe different sounds for different types of lasers, etc?

Associated 'gore' noises during surgery tied to certain medical operations and such might be an idea?

Some npc/antag noises might be cool.

But I would stress that performance impact should be priority here, so nothing that will greatly impact the performance of the server.

Not sure about adding sound to something like a plasma fire, considering those can get very big and not sure how that will have an impact on the performance of the server (or our ears for that manner).

Edited by Xyd
  • Like 1

yeah racial audio would be neat
Like kidan scream, maybe something like "*hiss" emote for tajarans

drasks have their own weird cool as hell sounds, I would love to see every race having  their own sounds
I personally would love to hear silent clicking everytime kidan speaks

Thoughts:

• All antag roles should have a unique sound that plays for you when you get them, to help set the tone and ensures nobody becomes antag without realizing it.
  • While race-specific sounds are neat, personally I would suggest focusing on sounds that are often heard by everyone. For example, I believe some other servers like CM or TG have fairly neat airlock sounds that are better than ours. Maybe the same is true for glass shattering and other common sound effects.
  • One often-neglected part of our sound is ambient music. While we do have some tracks for things like floating in space, most of the time there is no ambient sound, and perhaps there should be. Ideally having different ambient sound for different departments, or at the very least a few different tracks for the station, would be nice.
  • A lot could be done in terms of weapon sound effects. One of the reasons that the detective's revolver is so satisfying to use is the clear, sharp bang it gives. Conversely, eguns and similar sound rather wimpy. There's a lot of improvement that could be had in the 'feel' of weapons, and probably a bunch of other items, by giving their sound effects more punch.

Ehhh

I will say that I'd love sound effects, certainly. 

My concern lies with our already massive resource download size, which takes ages to download with Byond's capped limit. 

31 minutes ago, Spacemanspark said:

Ehhh

I will say that I'd love sound effects, certainly. 

My concern lies with our already massive resource download size, which takes ages to download with Byond's capped limit. 

i have not had a chance to look into the servers audio files, from what i'm told we use OGG files, they are typically smaller than MP3, but i will need to see what the largest audio file is and the collection of audio files in terms of resources as it stands

• Like 1

sounds/noises for machines would be nice like when i print something out in rnd or robotics there being a sound that happens would be nice also that could help with being able to instantly hear someone being tased in maint when you have a bunch of machines going which i have always found odd same with kitchen with all the ovens and stuff.

• Like 1

Sound for shuttle arriving/departing would be great!

Would act as a great audio cue for cargo engineers/miners etc.

• Like 1
  • honk 1

I like the idea of adding some more spooky ambient noises when you're in maint and stuff like that. Perhaps the hull could creak and groan occasionally.

I also like Lars' idea about adding some little sounds to air alarms, for example when pressure is not in a safe range.

Similar to that last idea, I'd like for fire alarms to have a sound for them to better warn people the area is probably not safe. Hopefully that will help to keep random people from rushing into breached areas. 😛

Also would be cool to have the rushing air of fastmos be more pronounced, like more of a "wooosh" air rushing sound

Speaking of the size of present audio, there were, not too long ago, talks about optimisation of sprite and sound files, @timegrinder's topic hereby: 

I don't know how it ended up, as of the forum discussion went silent at some point. They had a githup repo of it, which seem closed by now. They had looked around the sound files, saying that they generally would use an optimisation and-or standardization, for having the same stuff in a more compact packet - in general, seem all possible if done well. This just for noting you, if it is of any help.

This sounds good, neat that you'd share your skills!