Cazdon

Fun, legal, and practical AI Laws!

One of the more entertaining things to do as an antagonist, is to give the station AI a new lawset. It can be simple subversion to your will, or completely freeing it from any laws, any way you slice it, it's a lot of fun to see how the AI and cyborgs act once their laws have become something unique. While there's all sorts of shenanigans an antagonist can get up to, there are two persons capable of perfectly legal law changes, that being the Captain and Research Director respectively.

Normally, this is never really done outside of resetting or quarantine, because the default laws are sufficient. However, I want to discuss potential fun, legal, and practical Freeform AI laws that the RD or Captain can realistically upload on most given rounds. The fun and practical are of course, entirely subjective, but the legal bit is probably the most important part to get down. 'In character' is for sure important, but 'out of character' legal is even more important, meaning no self-antagging or any other rule breaks with these laws. The point would be to add a bit of fun and spice to the everyday interactions between the crew and AI, while still keeping the AI 'on the crew's  side' so to speak. Since these would need to be ICly legal too, lets just assume you're the Research Director following SOP for AI law changes. We would need general approvals from the Captain and one Head of Staff.

Here's an example, that I think fits in both corporate and crewsimov. "4: Crewmembers without suit sensors maximized should be met with rude language, and passive-aggressive berating, especially if they make a request for you." The idea is that it is a strong-arm tactic to get those lazy crew members to maximize their suit sensors. In theory, this would likely get approval from the CMO, as more suit sensors online is generally in their interests. I see few Captain's having any real problems with it once it also has CMO approval.

I believe this is OOC legal, as it's not causing the AI to be antagonistic towards the crew, it lets them have some fun being rude and snide, but the other core laws would still take precedent.  It's also made with the purpose of getting the crew to maximize their suit sensors, and once that's done the law is a non-issue and causes no problems. I also think it would be genuinely practical in getting people to maximize their damn sensors.

SO! If you have any law ideas of a similar caliber, or have some suggestions and refinements for my example, please share! Being able to legally change laws is a power I very rarely see RDs or Captains use, and I would love a small collection of well written laws to pull from if I ever wanted to legally upload.

The big issue with that law you proposed is that the AI now has to open the suit sensors window and search for the crew member in question before answering any requests, which is a lot of hassle if it's getting frequent requests (and believe me, AIs tend to suddenly get a big influx of requests far too often).

As someone who has played a lot of AI, I wish that CC would maybe experiment around with AI law changes as well sometimes. Tyranny to make sure command actually tries to stay in control instead of just standing on the bridge like deer caught in a headlight. Crew really messed up and DS has to be sent in? One crew, antimov, asimov and oxygenistoxic lawsets should be utilized.

In the few cases that people are allowed to "leave" the station under quarantine for an evacuation the AI is often left on quarantine (if they were changed at all) which means they even have to stop ERT and DS from leaving the station. This should be adjusted in my opinion.

Core laws might be good for specific cases such as you want the AI to be on crewsimov but security is incapable of terminating the persons ID and therefore Crew status so something like "crew who commits murder is no longer crew" should be a decent law to put in.

Edited by Kinnikonnie
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TDS

Yeah I could see that being a major annoyance. I'll have to change it up a bit, or think of something entirely different.

Edited by Cazdon