Guide to Virology
The first, and most important way to prevent 99% of infections, it's proper hazard wear, and knowing how to keep the infection from spreading.
The following will protect you, from the dangerous infections of space, each giving more and more (till total) protection against infection:
- Level-3 Bio Hood
- Level-3 Bio Suit
- Jumpsuit (virologist, CMO, geneticist, chemist, doctor, nurse suit, scrubs, Research Director)
- Latex Gloves
- Sterile mask
- Shoes (White shoes and Galoshes are the best)
- Private (clean) Internals
If you, or another crew member are infected, do not spread the infection further. Seek the isolation bay of the medical wing, or head to a room no one will enter but yourself and other infected.
Cleaning blood spills from the ground will prevent contact contamination, make sure blood is cleaned from the floor at all time. Any blood splatter out there could hold a dreaded space infection. Contact a janitor if you see blood on the floor, do not interact with the blood if you suspect possible infection chance. Any object or floor that has infected blood on it can infect anyone who handles or touches it.
Methods of Infection
The following are the various ways a disease can spread, keep this in mind at all times:
- Airborne - The most dangerous and quick spreading, if you are anywhere within the breathing area of the infected crew member, you have a chance to be infected.
- Direct Contact - Requires you to touch, been touched, or be extremely close to the source of the infection. The infection will be spread by the skin and bodily fluids of an infected person, but will not survive long in the air.
- Blood - The infection will be spread by the bodily fluids of the infected person.
- Special - The disease is not normally contagious and the affected crewman has been infected by a non-human vector source. You can work with the infected without risk yourself unless they expose you to the same vector source that infected them.
Curing an Infection
Every infection is vulnerable to one substance (or combination of two). To find it, you can put an infected blood sample in the PanD.E.M.I.C 2200 machine or use a health analyzer on an infected patient. Administering the substance to the patient (may require multiple injections) should cure him. Alternatively, if you have produced a vaccine, a simple injection should cure the patient.
This machine creates vaccines from the blood of people who have been cured.
- Take a blood sample with a syringe.
- Place sample into a beaker or bottle.
- Load beaker into machine.
- Select vaccine you wish to have.
- Take vaccine bottle it produces.
- Reveals the cure to any infected blood sample without needing to inject a living creature.
Thankfully, humanity has managed to cure and eliminate almost all of the diseases that plagued its infancy. However, the vast reaches of space have been found to harbor new illnesses that can affect the unprepared staff on Nanotrasen research stations.
|Disease Name||Vector Name||Description||Spread||Cure|
|Alien Parasite||Xenomorph||An uncommon infection, caused by alien attacks. A facehugger has implanted an embryo inside of the body of the victim, which will grow until it kills and destroys the body while spawning a larva.||Special||Surgery|
|Beesease||Apidae Infection||A vicious disease which causes minor toxin damage followed by the host uncontrollably vomiting bees. The created bees are incredibly ill-tempered and will attack anyone they can, including the host.||Contact||Sugar|
|Beserker||Jagged Crystals||This virus causes the host to shout with anger and punch those around them at random. When curing this disease, it's probably best you hand the affected person the medicine and then get out of punching range.||Not Contagious||Haloperidol|
|Brainrot||Cryptococcus Cosmosis||An infection that causes mental degradation and will cause the host to collaspe in its later stages.||Contact||Mannitol|
|Cold||XY-rhinovirus||Still around since the dawn of man, this disease is relativity harmless, causing fatigue and a runny nose. Will progress to the Flu when untreated.||Airborne||Spaceacillin|
|Cold9||ICE9-rhinovirus||A rare disease that will progressively lower the victim's body temperature in addition to respiratory symptoms such as sneezing and coughing.||Contact||Spaceacillin|
|Flu||H13N1 Flu Virion||A common illness which causes fatigue, high fever, and muscle aches. Rarely fatal but quickly spread and will cause minor toxin and organ damage. Having an affected patient rest can slow the progress of this virus.||Airborne||Spaceacillin|
|Food Poisoning||Salmonella||This illness is most commonly contracted by eating poorly prepared food and will cause weakness, stomach aches, and vomiting. This sickness will eventually pass on its own without a cure but can be more quickly fixed with either chicken soup or bed rest.||Not Contagious||Chicken Soup|
|Fungal Tuberculosis||Fungal Tubercle Bacillus Cosmosis||A rare highly transmittable virulent virus. Few samples exist, rumoured to be carefully grown and cultured by clandestine bio-weapon specialists. Causes fever, vomiting, loss of breath, confusion, weight loss, and fatigue.||Airborne||Spaceacillin & Salbutamol|
|"GBS"||Gravitokinetic Bipotential SADS-||A virus which has evolved to mimic the deadly GBS virus. Unlike the actual gibbing virus however, this virus causes no damage and will never be fatal to the host.||Contact||Diphenhydramine & Sulfur|
|GBS||Gravitokinetic Bipotential SADS+||An extremely dangerous illness caused by contagious micro-singularities that will cause the human body to be torn apart from the inside. The initial phase begins in the lungs and mimics flu symptoms.||Contact||Diphenhydramine & Sulfur|
|Grave Fever||Grave Dust||A unique disease linked to the entities known as vampires. This disease will causes progressively more severe amounts of toxin damage, weakness, and oxygen deprivation as it progresses.||Not Contagious||Spaceacillin|
|Jungle Fever||Kongey Vibrion M-909||One of the most feared diseases in the galaxy, this is a disease carried by primates. A single bite or scratch is enough to fully infect a human. The result is spontaneous genetic reversion, and the affected individual will also become a monkey.||Special||Death Squad|
|Magnitis||Fukkos Miracos||An infection of magnetic bacteria that build up in the body. As the disease progresses any metallic items not bolted down near the infected person will be pulled toward them, even objects as large as canisters. Ingested iron will draw the bacteria to it and allow them to be excreted normally.||Airborne||Iron|
|Non-Contagious GBS||Gibbis||A weaponized version of the GBS virus used by enemies of the corporation in assassination plots. The symptoms are identical to the more naturally occuring GBS virus.||Not Contagious||Cryoxadone|
|Pierrot's Throat||H0NI<42 Virus||A brain disease that was brought back with the original explorers of Clown Planet that damages the basal ganglia, victims will have an uncontrollable urge to HONK.||Airborne||Bananas|
|Retrovirus||Unknown||This virus causes minor paralysis and odd sensations in the host during its early stages. Once sufficiently matured, the virus scrambles the hosts genetic data which can lead to horrible mutations. Sufficient amounts of bedrest also hold the potential to cure this disease.||Contact||Mutadone|
|Rhumba Beat||Unknown||A truely horrifying virus which causes the host to be compelled to rhythmically Rhumba before exploding violently. This virus seems to be a derivative of the feared GBS virus but with more dancing involved.||Contact||Plasma|
|Robotic Transformation||R2D2 Nanomachines||A rare infection caused by nanomachines in certain foods, effectively kills the infected as their body becomes metallic and their skin sloughs off before turning them into a cyborg.||Spread||Copper|
|Severe Anxiety||Excess Lepidopticides||A mysterious disease which causes confusion and jitteriness. When fully matured, this virus casues the host to cough up butterflies.||Contact||Ethanol|
|Spanish Inquisition Flu||1nqu1s1t10n Flu Virion||A rare and deadly form of flu that causes an incredibly high fever. Those infected will die of internal organ burns without treatment or religious absolution.||Airborne||Spaceacillin|
|Space Kuru||Prions||An incredibly dangerous and often weaponized virus. Prions are found in food containing brains or in specialized bottles of poison used by enemies of Nanotrasen. The virus causes uncontrollable laughter, convulsions and will eventually kill the host.||Not Contagious||Incurable|
|Xenomorph Transformation||Rip-LEY Alien Microbes||A rare infection caused by xeno-microbes in certain foods, changing the infected's DNA to that of a xenomorph hunter. Symptoms include severe pain and progressive insanity.||Special||Spaceacillin & Glycerol|
|Wizarditis||Rincewindus Vulgaris||A rare illness, causes spontaneous robe growth, randomly speaking incantations, and finally random teleportation.||Airborne||The Manly Dorf|
The following diseases may occur randomly during a shift and will be accompinied by a viral biohazard annoucment from Nanotrasen. It is important to note that the Cold and Flu variants which can occur randomly during a shift at a level 7 biohazard alert are not the same as the Cold and Flu virus samples. A health analyzer will show that these two viruses are instead curable with orange juice which you can acquire from the bar.
|Flu||Once fully matured this variant of the flu will cause the host to cough, forcing them to drop whatever items they might currently be holding. This form of the flu has no other symtpoms.||Blood||Orange Juice|
|Cold||Once fully matured this variant of the cold will cause the host to sneeze, rapidly spreading the virus to all other nearby potential hosts. This form of the cold has no other symptoms.||Airborne||Orange Juice|
|Brainrot||An infection that causes mental degradation and will cause the host to collaspe in its later stages.||Contact||Mannitol|
|Magnitis||An infection of magnetic bacteria that build up in the body. As the disease progresses any metallic items not bolted down near the infected person will be pulled toward them, even objects as large as canisters. Ingested iron will draw the bacteria to it and allow them to be excreted normally.||Airborne||Iron|
You are able to create your own advance disease with different symptoms, which will have buffs, debuffs and bonuses! You will start out with two advance diseases, the cold and the flu. The cold will have the sneeze symptom and the flu will have the cough symptoms. This will likely change in the future but for now you have two diseases you can mix together. Mixing together the two diseases will create a single disease with the sneezing AND cold symptom. Now when someone is injected with it, they'll sneeze AND cough! There's some symptoms, like headaches, which seem useless but will buff your overall disease so it becomes more resistant to cures.
There's three ways to get more symptoms and all of those ways needs you to have an already existing disease. This involves adding a chemical to the virus, which will generate a new symptom. Rarer and harder to acquire chemicals will yield more potent symptoms.
- Virus Food: You can make virus food with Water, Milk and Oxygen. Virology lab has its own Virus Food Dispenser. Mixing this with a disease will give that disease a low level symptom.
- Unstable Mutagen: You can use mutagen to mutate your disease and give it a medium level symptom.
- Plasma Dust: Plasma Dust can be used to mutate your disease to give it a high level symptom. Plasma in dust form is generally in very limited supply, unless mining and chemistry cooperates with you. Additional Plasma Dust can be obtained from grinding up solid plasma in a blender, which is different than the liquid plasma available in chem producing machines.
- Mutagenic Agar: Mutagenic agar can be used to mutate your disease to give it a level 3 symptom. It is made by mixing Unstable mutagen and virus food together.
- Sucrose Agar: Sucrose agar can be used to mutate your disease to give it a level 4 symptom. It is made by mixing Sugar or Saline glucose solution and Mutagenic agar together.
- Virus Plasma: Virus plasma can be used to mutate your disease and give it a level 6 symptom. It is made by mixing plasma dust with virus food.
- Weakened Virus Plasma: Weakened virus plasma can be used to mutate your disease and give it a level 5 symptom. It is made by weakening virus plasma using Diphenhydramine.
- Virus Rations: Virus rations can be used to mutate your disease and give it a level 1 symptom. It is made by depleting Virus food with Diphenhydramine
- Diphenhydramine: When this reagent comes in contact with an advance disease, it will remove a random symptom from it. This is useful for isolating a useful symptom you want to acquire. It is also important to note that you cannot remove a symptom from a virus if the virus currently only has one symptom.
There's a downside to having too many symptoms; less resistance, less likely to spread, etc. Not only that, but if you add a symptom when you already have three, there's a chance it will overwrite a symptom. This is why it's important to organize your symptoms so that you can try and try again until you get the disease you want. A virus can have up to six symptoms.
When you're adding a chemical to a virus, you only need to add a single unit of it to the virus. This means you can use a dropper to add a single unit at a time, instead of using a syringe and wasting 5 to 15 chemicals at a time. Since Plasma Dust and Mutagen are in limited supply, it is a smart move to conserve your chemicals.
A true virologist will organize their symptoms in a single beaker box on a shelf, like a spice rack. This will make it extra easy to store and mix symptoms together to get a fearful disease. Use your Pandemic Machine to identify a blood sample's symptoms. You can go one step further and get a hand-labeller and label your symptoms for easier management. You can also use a biobag to keep your bottles on you.
- All Viral Samples, by default, have +1 added to all values as a Base Value. As such, for example, a viral sample with Stealth 0 will actually have Stealth 1.
- You can obtain symptom levels 1 and 2 with Virus Food, which you start with a dispenser full of. For symptom levels 3 and 4 you will need to acquire Unstable Mutagen. Levels 5 and 6 requires Plasma Dust.
- Higher Resistance means the virus will be harder to cure and the cure will be a more rare substance.
- Higher overall transmittable level means the virus will generally have a more dangerous method of infection.
|Symptom||Stealth||Resistance||Stage speed||Transmittable||Level||Required Chemical||Bonus|
|Alopecia||-1||- 1||-1||2||4||Unstable Mutagen||Causes rapid hair loss.|
|Anti-Bodies Metabolism||-1||-1||-1||-4||3||Unstable Mutagen||Cures all diseases (except itself) and creates anti-bodies for them until itself dies.|
|Choking||-3||-2||-2||-4||3||Unstable Mutagen||Causes spikes of oxygen deprivation. Deals damage based on stage speed and stealth.|
|Coughing||-1||3||1||2||1||Virus Food||Will force the affected mob to drop small items when coughing!|
|Confusion||1||-1||-3||0||4||Unstable Mutagen||Makes the affected mob be confused for short periods of time.|
|Deafness||-1||-2||-1||-3||4||Unstable Mutagen||Causes intermittent loss of hearing.|
|Deoxyribonucleic Acid Restoration (not implemented)||-1||-1||0||-3||5||Plasma Dust||Heals brain damage based on stage speed minus stealth, treats radiation, cleans SE of non-power mutations.|
|Deoxyribonucleic Acid Saboteur (not implemented)||-2||-3||0||-3||6||Plasma Dust||Cleans the DNA and gives a random disability.|
|Dizziness||2||-2||-3||-1||4||Unstable Mutagen||Shakes the affected mob's screen for short periods.|
|Eternal Youth||3||4||4||-4||5||Plasma Dust||Makes you never physically older than young adulthood and prevents death by old age.|
|Facial Hypertrichosis||-3||-1||-3||-1||4||Unstable Mutagen||Makes you grow a massive beard, regardless of gender.|
|Fever||0||3||3||2||2||Virus Food||Heats up your body, based on transmittability and stealth.|
|Hallucinogen||-2||-3||-3||-1||5||Plasma Dust||Makes the affected mob be hallucinated for short periods of time. Available in Virus Crates.|
|Headache||-1||4||2||0||1||Virus Food||Displays an annoying message! Should be used for buffing your disease.|
|Hyphema||-1||-4||-4||-3||5||Plasma Dust||Inflicts eye damage over time. Causes blindness if left unchecked.|
|Itching||0||3||3||1||1||Virus Food||Displays an annoying message! Should be used for buffing your disease.|
|Longevity||3||4||4||4||3||Unstable Mutagen||After a certain amount of time the disease will cure itself. Will immensely buff your disease.|
|Necrotizing Fasciitis||-3||-4||0||-4||6||Plasma Dust||Causes brute damage over time, with more brute damage the less the virus' stealth is. Fatal if left untreated.|
|Ocular Restoration||-1||-3||-2||-4||4||Unstable Mutagen||Body starts to create its own Oculine, healing eye damage.|
|Revitiligo||-3||-1||-1||-2||4||Unstable Mutagen||Makes the mob gain skin pigmentation.|
|Self-Respiration||1||-3||-3||-4||6||Plasma Dust||Body starts to create its own Salbutamol, effectively making oxygen unnecessary.|
|Shivering||0||2||2||2||2||Virus Food||Cools down your body based on stealth and resistance.|
|Sneezing||-2||3||0||4||1||Virus Food||Forces a spread type of AIRBORNE with extra range!|
|Spontaneous Combustion||1||-4||-4||-4||6||Plasma Dust||Sets your body on fire periodically, with amount of stacks based on stage speed, minus stealth.|
|Stimulant||-1||-3||-2||-4||3||Unstable Mutagen||Body starts to create its own Ephedrine, increasing movement speed.|
|Toxic Compensation||1||-4||-4||-2||4||Unstable Mutagen||Slowly converts brute/fire damage to toxin.|
|Toxic Filter||1||-4||-4||-4||6||Plasma Dust||Heals toxins in the affected mob's blood stream, based on stage speed. Available in Virus Crates.|
|Vitiligo||-3||-1||-1||-2||4||Unstable Mutagen||Makes the mob lose skin pigmentation.|
|Voice Change||-2||-3||-3||-1||6||Plasma Dust||Changes the voice of the affected mob. Causing confusion in communication. Available in Virus Crates.|
|Vomiting||-2||-1||0||1||3||Unstable Mutagen||Forces the affected mob to vomit! Makes the affected mob lose nutrition and heal toxin damage.|
|Blood Vomiting||-2||-1||-1||1||4||Unstable Mutagen||Forces the affected mob to vomit blood! Makes the affected mob lose health.|
|Projectile Vomiting||-2||-1||0||1||4||Unstable Mutagen||Forces the affected mob to vomit with a larger spread! Makes the affected mob lose nutrition and heal toxin damage.|
|Weakness||-1||-1||-2||-2||3||Unstable Mutagen||Deals stamina damage to the host.|
|Weight Gain||-3||-3||-2||-2||4||Unstable Mutagen||Increases the weight gain of the mob, forcing it to eventually turn fat.|
|Weight Loss||-3||-2||-2||-2||3||Unstable Mutagen||Decreases the weight of the mob, forcing it to be skinny.|
|Weight Even||-3||-2||-2||-2||4||Unstable Mutagen||Causes the weight of the mob to be even, meaning eating isn't required anymore.|
|Viral Self-Adaptation||3||5||-3||0||3||Unstable Mutagen||Massively buffs the adaptation of viruses, causing it to be stealthier, harder to cure but slower acting.|
|Viral Evolutionary Acceleration||-2||-3||5||3||3||Unstable Mutagen||Massively buffs the evolutionary cycle of viruses, causing it to be faster acting, better at infecting, but more easily detected and cured.|
|Sensory destruction||-1||-2||-3||-4||6||Plasma Dust||Destroys mob's senses by shutting down motor skills, creating hallucinations, damaging brain functionality, and depriving the mob of it's taste.|
|Sensory restoration||-1||-4||-4||-3||5||Plasma Dust||Restores mob's senses by fixing ear damage, purging alcohol from the body, blocking hallucinations, and fixing brain damage.|
After you're done mixing your disease, stats from the symptoms are added together to make disease stats. Here's what exactly they do:
- Stealth of 1 or highter will hide your disease from MedHUDs. Stealth of 2 or higher will hide your disease from Health Analyzers and Full Body Scanners. Stealth of 3 or higher will hide it from P.A.N.D.E.M.I.C. machine.
- Transmission is determined as follows: (disease's transmission - amount of symptoms). 1 or less is blood, 2-4 is contact, 5 is airbone. However, sneezing will force it to be airbone.
- Chance of advancing a stage per tick is 2% or stage speed, whichever is higher.
- Cure depends on resistance and amount of symptoms: resistance - (amount of symptoms / 2)
|1 or less||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11 or more|
|Sodium Chloride||Sugar||Orange juice||Spaceacilin||Saline-Glucose Solution||Ethanol||Teporone||Diphenhydramine||Lipolicide||Silver||Gold|
- Chance of it being cured every tick is 15 - resistance, but always between 10 and 20.
- Transmission affects how much protective gear you must have to protect yourself from it.