Difference between revisions of "Terror Spider"
m (→Terror Spider Abilities: Added a note that purples, queens, and princes are unable to ventcrawl like the others)
(update for PR 11853)
|Line 44:||Line 44:|
! [[File:Terror_gray.png]]<br>Gray Terror
! [[File:Terror_gray.png]]<br>Gray Terror
| webs. Double damage against webbed targets.
| Stealthy (hard to see
| Stealthy (hard to see)
Latest revision as of 04:17, 8 September 2019
Like Xenomorphs, they are intelligent, and form a hive that acts aggressively against humanoids in the area. They also travel through vents.
Like giant space spiders, they tend to wrap things in webs, drink human blood, and multiply by laying eggs that hatch into spiderlings.
They tend to be extremely strong in melee, but weak to ranged weapons. For special attacks, they tend to use a variety of deadly poisons, delivered by biting their targets.
Terror spider infestations typically start with green, white, prince, queen or mother spiders, then grow from there. The higher the tier of spider the start with, the faster and more deadly they will grow.
Terror Spider Types
- Weld vents and scrubbers. Even fully-grown Terror Spiders can ventcrawl. They will run around murdering the whole crew if you fail to weld the vents.
- Carry a gun. Melee weapons are not good enough to fight the vast majority of terror spiders. Laser weapons are preferable.
- Travel with friends.
- Don't travel into dark/webbed areas.
- Don't walk into spider webs.
- If bitten by a Black Terror, or White Terror, seek immediate medical help. You will be dead (or worse) within minutes if you don't do this.
- Prioritize killing the spiders that lay eggs, or otherwise reproduce.
- Don't be afraid to ask for an ERT if they get out of hand.
- If you're Medical (or the closest thing to a doctor available), get a Medical HUD to tell who's infested with eggs, do Internal Organ Manipulation surgery on their chest to remove said eggs, and have plenty of anti-toxins stocked.
- If you are security, consider arming the crew. Terror spiders can be as dangerous as blobs, even worse in some cases. Arming the crew is safer than having a serious terror spider infestation.
- If you are science, make AEGs. Make sure security have them. Night vision HUDs help too. The best weapon against Terror Spiders are mechs, especially mechs with lasercannons.
- If you are cargo, consider ordering eguns/laserguns.
- If you are command, get the crew organized. Remind people of what to do, and what not to do. Remind the assistants that these things are serious business, and hunting them with a toolbox is suicide.
- Help your fellow terror spiders. You're stronger when you work together.
- Destroy lights.
- Destroy cameras.
- Use Wrap on humanoid corpses. You will suck out their internal organs as a liquid, which gives you a permanent buff to health regeneration. This buff stacks for every humanoid corpse you wrap, and it can make your health regenerate several times faster than normal.
- Spin webs.
- Use webs to ambush crew.
- Use webs to block enemy projectile weapons, giving you cover.
- Use ventcrawl to find new targets, or escape well-armed crew.
- Know the strengths and weaknesses of your spider type. For example, injection-based spiders (like blacks and whites) should only attack unarmored organic targets. They are useless against crew in hardsuits, borgs, mechas, etc.
- If you can break open welded vents (you have the vent smash ability on your HUD) then use it.
- Don't be afraid to retreat if you need to. You naturally regenerate health. Crew don't.
- If there is a Queen, defend her at all costs. She produces new spiders at a rate that gets faster over time. Even if you die defending her, it is worth it, because as long as she's alive you can probably respawn as a new spider, and the spiders will be a lot stronger in general.
- If there is a Princess, or a Green, get her as many humanoid corpses as possible. They enable her to make more spiders.
- If there is a White, do not attack crew members who have the purple "xeno infection" marker on your HUD. That means they have spiders in them - leave them alone and they'll burst into spiderlings after a few minutes.
- If there is a Brown, follow them around, raiding the areas whose vents they have broken open for you.
- Use your special abilities. For example, as a red, understand that you do more damage the lower your health is, so it can actually help you to be hurt a little before you enter combat. Another example is that the gray's webs are hard to see, and light in color. Placing them under doors, or on light-colored floor tiles, or in dark areas, can be better at trapping people.
- Use your ability combos. For example, spin a web, then drag or push a crew member into it. Wrap a corpse in a cocoon, force open a door, then hide behind the door after it closes to ambush whoever comes by to break open the cocoon. As a green, wrap/feed on a humanoid corpse, then ventcrawl to a safe restricted-access location, and destroy the camera there, before laying your eggs.
- Focus on your role. Browns should spend all their time breaking open vents, not fighting. Queens should spend their time laying eggs and protecting that nest (running away only if overwhelmed). Greens should be looking for any opportunity to feed and lay eggs. Whites should be looking to infect as many crew as possible. Blacks should be trying to assassinate key members of the crew, such as command staff, and unarmored security. Reds should be providing area denial of key areas. Purples should be guarding the queen. Etc.
- If you notice another spider who doesn't seem to know what their role is, tell them. You have hivemind comms for a reason. Sharing tips is a good idea.
- When a new spider grows (you will know, it tells you) and you aren't busy, briefly tell them what the situation/plan is. E.g.: "Welcome 109. Hive is in elec maint, we're trying to take old bar maint, backup in botany would be great."
Terror Spider Abilities
|Passive Abilities (all spiders)|
|Regenerate||speed varies||Terror spiders constantly regenerate health at a low rate. Certain actions increase this rate.|
|Prey Sense||N/A||Terror spiders can sense the health status of their food (humanoids), including whether they are infected with eggs or not.|
|Hivemind||N/A||Terror spiders speak on their shared hivemind by default, but some of them can also talk with normal crew (via ":9" or ".9").|
|Sense of Death||N/A||Through the hivemind, the death of any one terror spider is immediately known to all of the others.|
|Web||15 second cooldown||Spins a Terror Web. These will block some projectiles one time, and ensnare any humanoid who enters them for several seconds.|
|Ventcrawl||takes 10 seconds||Alt-click on any non-welded vent or scrubber to enter it. After a few seconds, you can move freely through the pipe system, emerging at any other unwelded vent/scrubber you can reach. However, Princes Of Terror, Purple Terror Spiders, and Queens Of Terror are unable to ventcrawl.|
|Wrap||once per corpse||Wraps up a corpse in a web. All spiders get a bonus to health regeneration for each humanoid corpse they wrap. Green spiders additionally get to lay eggs based on the number of humanoid corpses they've wrapped.|
|Green Terrors can also:|
|Lay Green Eggs||Wrap a humanoid corpse first||Lay a choice of eggs which can hatch into red, gray, green, brown, and black terror spiders. Requires using Wrap on humanoid corpse(s) first. (Note, only two brown and black spiders can exist at one time)|
|Princes of Terror can also:|
|Spin Thick Web||None||Spins a web that blocks the crew's vision.|
|Mothers, Queens, and Princesses can also:|
|Vent Smash||None||Smashes open a welded vent or scrubber.|
|Queens of Terror can also:|
|HiveSense||N/A||Reach out to your brood telepathically, sensing their locations, types, moods, and status.|
|Lay Queen Eggs||long cooldown||Lay eggs which can hatch into red, gray, green, white, black, or purple terror spiders. Unlike with the green-level ability, Queens do not need to feed before doing this.|
|Fake Spiderlings||limited uses||Creates a few immature spiderlings, broken and defective. They will never grow up, but they will scare the crew as they move quickly and spread widely.|
Objects & Drops
- Spiderling: Non-playable baby spiders. They move very quickly and like to hide in vents. Humans must kill them. Spiders must keep them alive.
- Terror Webs: Extremely sticky webs placed by spiders. Can be destroyed easily. Attempting to walk through them is highly likely to ensnare any human.
- Do terror spiders need oxygen? Pressure? Temperature? Yes. Lack of proper atmos kills them slowly.
- Can I kill them with toxins? No. They ignore plasma in the air, and syringes/syringeguns don't work on them (they do not process reagents).
- How do I play as one? Click on it as a ghost. There may also be a notice in ghostchat when a terror spider is controllable.
- Can adult terror spiders travel through vents? Yes.
Guide For Xenobio
- Can I spawn these as hostile mobs with a gold slime core? No.
- Can I spawn these as tame mobs with a gold slime core? No.
- Can I use a sentience potion to make one loyal to me? No.
- Will I get brutally murdered if I try interacting with a wild one? Yes!